cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Re: Ghost drawing formats

RSchroder
4-Participant

Re: Ghost drawing formats

As per the original post

Does anyone know if there is a solution to original post yet. I'm currently experiencing it on Creo 4 and Creo 7.

11 REPLIES 11
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:RSchroder)

No change (as far as I know).  We're on Windchill 12.1 and Creo 8.

RSchroder
4-Participant
(To:TomU)

Thanks for the quick response!

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

I think we have a solution but let me explain what I know of the issue. When you create a new drawing, Creo pulls the format which at this time is not likely in your workspace from the location specified in your pro_format_dir in your config.pro (or more preferred for this entry, config.sup). If you are like most places, that location is a shared folder common to all users on some Windows drive.  Since the file does not originate from Windchill commonspace, it treats the file as new when you save the drawing. With template drawings, since you are copying the drawing to make a new one, you see the ghost as it cannot find the format. 

A solution that seems to solve our similar program of format appearing as new is to map a Commonspace location for the pro_format_dir. This will require all users to use the same alias for Windchill in your server manager but this can be done by creating connection via a script.

pro_format_dir wtpub://PDMLink/Libraries/Engineering CAD Resources/Formats

By not pulling from a folder outside of Windchill, this should download the format when it needs to be picked in drawing creation and downloads it to the workspace. Another solution might be to add a search path in the same manner to find the formats if creating from a drawing template. Give this a shot.

RSchroder
4-Participant
(To:avillanueva)

Thanks for the reply. My issue is this. We have a ""start part" template that automatically creates a drawing from a drawing template. That drawing template uses a specific drawing format. All of these files are store inside Windchill. When the user creates a new part using the "start part" template the drawing is created but the format is not added to the workspace. A ghost file is created instead. My pro_format_dir is already set to the location that contains the format in question.

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Is that location a Windchill path or a folder outside Windchill? What about adding the format path to a search path in addition?

RSchroder
4-Participant
(To:avillanueva)

The location is a windchill path (wtpub://Windchill...). I will try adding it as a search path also and reply back with the results.

RSchroder
4-Participant

Adding the search path doesn't help. Still getting the ghost file. 

RS_10304833_0-1662556250818.png

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Question: How do you create a start_part file that also includes a drawing file and template?

We have starts part templates for solid parts, assemblies and sheet metal parts when new objects are created.

We have drawing templates that pull in the formats when a new drawing is created.

Not every object created gets a drawing, so automatically creating a drawing with an object may not be practical.

RSchroder
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

This is the method I've always seen used.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS37133

CS37133 doesn't specifically address storing both the template model and drawing template (which includes drawing format) in Windchill - it only states to store them in the same "folder."  Keeping both in Windchill is the key idea on this.

In my case the part template, drawing template & drawing format are stored in same folder in windchill.

Top Tags