cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Rehost Tool fails with message "Unable to connect to ldap server or locate entry"

lionelsosa
3-Visitor

Rehost Tool fails with message "Unable to connect to ldap server or locate entry"

Hi all. I'm currently working on cloning a Windchill PDM Essentials installation using the Rehost Tool. When I run the tool, I'm getting stuck in the LDAP connection with the message shown below. I've read a couple of posts and I've made sure that the WindchillDS credentials are correct as well as the baseDN.

I also checked that WindchillDS is running by connecting to it from another computer using "LDAP Browser/Editor" by Jarek Gawor. I'm using the same information used in the rehost.properties file and I can connect to it and browse its contents. I can also run the ControlPanel file inside of the WindchillDS directory.

The information on my rehost.properties file is:

target.directory.ldap=D:\ptc\WindchillDS

target.ldap.username=cn=Manager

target.ldap.password=***********

target.ldap.baseDn=cn=configuration,cn=Windchill_10.2-M010,o=ptc

target.ldap.hostname=*************

target.ldap.port=389

target.ldap.scheme=ldap

target.ldap.serviceName=<same as hostname>

source.local.domain=<old server FQDN>

The log shows:

D:\rehost\conf\rehost.xml:131: com.ptc.wc.rehost.exception.RehostException: Unable to connect to ldap server or locate entry: cn=configuration,cn=Windchill_10.2-M010,o=ptc at com.ptc.wc.rehost.javatask.BackupTask.checkLDAPisRunning(BackupTask.java:449) at com.ptc.wc.rehost.javatask.BackupTask.backupLdap(BackupTask.java:329) at com.ptc.wc.rehost.javatask.BackupTask.backup(BackupTask.java:267) at com.ptc.wc.rehost.javatask.BackupTask.performTask(BackupTask.java:175) at com.ptc.wc.rehost.javatask.AbstractRehostTask.execute(AbstractRehostTask.java:141) at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:292) at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor4.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606) at org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:106) at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:348) at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Sequential.execute(Sequential.java:68) at net.sf.antcontrib.logic.IfTask.execute(IfTask.java:197) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606) at org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:106) at org.apache.tools.ant.TaskAdapter.execute(TaskAdapter.java:154) at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:292) at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor4.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606) at org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:106) at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:348) at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:435) at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:456) at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1393) at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1364) at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.DefaultExecutor.executeTargets(DefaultExecutor.java:41) at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1248) at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java:851) at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.startAnt(Main.java:235) at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:280) at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:109)

Is there anything else that I could check or that I may be missing? Thank you for any help you can provide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi all, and thank you for your help. It turned out that the error was on the password I had set. It included a "@" sign, which I guess doesn't work with the Rehost tool. I changed the WindchillDS password to letters and numbers only and it worked.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Please check in your LDAP if you have this below DN if not correct that in the rehost.properties.

target.ldap.baseDn=cn=configuration,cn=Windchill_10.2-M010,o=ptc

Hi, this is a screenshot from the Control Panel for WindchillDS:

lionelsosa_0-1578665171444.png

Vinay_S
15-Moonstone
(To:lionelsosa)

Hi lionelsosa,

Check if it is o=ptc or o="something else".
Have you installed DS separately or copied from source?
If copied from source, Install directory server separately. After installing, import the ldif file try restoring them. By placing your source files from bkp to target bkp folder and then use restore.
Vinay S.
CADOpt Technologies Private Limited
Bengaluru.

Hi. I copied the WindchillDS folder from the source. After I ran the Rehost tool the first time, the DS was up and running without me doing anything. I just had to change the Manager's password in the config file as I didn't have the old password.

Is it better to uninstall the copy and install it fresh with the PTC Solution Installer?

Vinay_S
15-Moonstone
(To:lionelsosa)

You can replace the backup WDS folder from source to target which will save time. (Better to do this)

You can also do a fresh WDS installation using PSI and then restore the LDAP backup which will also help you to setup fresh copy of WDS. (Use this only if you don't have any external adapter properties set)

Kindly follow the below article to modify manager password 

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS96619

Since you mentioned it was working fine after rehost for the first time, try the above article to change the credentials if that is what you are looking for. 

Vinay S.
CADOpt Technologies Private Limited
Bengaluru.

Hi all, and thank you for your help. It turned out that the error was on the password I had set. It included a "@" sign, which I guess doesn't work with the Rehost tool. I changed the WindchillDS password to letters and numbers only and it worked.

Top Tags