cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Replicate SQL Database & Windchill Directory Server from Production to Test Environment

MA_10143395
1-Newbie

Replicate SQL Database & Windchill Directory Server from Production to Test Environment

I need to replicate SQL Database & Windchill Directory Server from Production to Test Environment

7 REPLIES 7
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:MA_10143395)

Read the Rehost guide for your version of Windchill. It is not for the faint of heart!

jbailey
17-Peridot
(To:BenLoosli)

The most convoluted document PTC has created to date :-P.  It doesn't help that the scenarios they include don't even discuss deployments that are using the new model (no supplied java, no WC DS etc)

Hi @jbailey,

The documents are good for general knowledge.

If you've never done a clone of the system you should start with general knowledge documentation to understand what have to be done , 

So I would start with the rehost guide

Windchill rehosting is very complex operation and you could do many many mistakes. 

PS> not you but anyone 😄 

PetrH

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:jbailey)

Agreed, I think they tried to cover too much. Your install could be anything from a monolithic install to a multinational, clustered installation, Windows and linux. That's tough to capture in a single guide or tool. I would suggest folks take that information and write their own guide which matches their installation. I've struggled using that as I never could determine what to ignore and what was important. Get that configuration file right or you've hosed the system. I wish it was more transparent in what it was changing. Perhaps having a practice mode where it told you what it was doing without actually changing files would be helpful.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:jbailey)

Mike Lockwood has offered anyone who can use the Rehost Guide alone and do a successful rehost a full lobster dinner. He made this offer about 5 years ago, or more, so far he has had no takers.

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:BenLoosli)

@BenLoosli wrote:

Mike Lockwood has offered anyone who can use the Rehost Guide alone and do a successful rehost a full lobster dinner. He made this offer about 5 years ago, or more, so far he has had no takers.

If I remember correctly the offer was to any PTC employee who could do this.

Not sure of what version but this should cover all bases:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS162685?source=search

Top Tags