Preeti / Jess,
Unfotunately, I've run in to the exact same problem that Preeti reports, as mentioned in this thread:
I've tested this in both our Prod and Dev systems (9.1 M060, running on Red Hat), and it it works the same...after a modelUpdate, the already-established Cognos Reports do not recognize the newly-added Selections...it puts the column header in place, but the column has no data, even though the data is pre-existing in the source document type.
I also confirmed with with Mike Lockwood...his Windows-based system does the same thing as my Linux installs.
I have C#10232346 open concerning this...I'm on my 3rd support engineer. The challenge has been finding where the problem actually lies. In my trial-and-error, what I've determined is that this is the process I have to follow:
1) Make a change to add columns (again, pre-existing info) to a Report in Query Builder.
2) Make sure you're logged out of Cognos.
3) Perform the modelUpdate in the windchill shell.
4) Shut down Cognos.
5) windchill stop
6) Tomcat stop.
7) Tomcat start.
😎 windchill start
9) Start Cognos.
It doesn't work for me if I just do the modelUpdate. Just stopping Windchill doesn't work either. I have to go to the point of restarting Tomcat to get this to work. When I do, the data magically appears in the columns where previously I only rec'd empy columns.
I disovered this after setting up demonstration Queries/Reports for PTC during the week...then we had to do a complete restart over a weekend due to some network changes...and when I brought everything back online, I checked my empty-column reports on a whim, and BOOM there was the data. So I went back and repeated the shutdown/startup process repeatedly, adding steps to find out where the problem is...for me it appears to be Tomcat.
I forgot to mention that somewhere in there, I go through a process in Cognos to update the existing report in Report Studio, of course.
The newly-added columns (from the Select tab) in Query Builder don't just magically appear in the Cognos reports, of course!
Right now I do a modelUpdate, go to Cognos and see that the Report Templates are updated, get the Data Items in place in the Page, and confirm that it runs, albeit with empty columns...then save.
Then I go through my shutdown/startup process (to the Tomcat level) to have the newly-added columns properly populated with data when I come back to Cognos.
What exactly was the solution mentioned by Pierre at PTC?
Also, when you say "It's a well known issue by anyone who uses Cognos regularly," are you referring to the Windchill Business Reporting-version of Cognos, or Cognos installations in general?
I ask because, when I first encountered this problem, I consulted with a group of Cognos power-users here at the company. I thought that I must simply be doing something wrong in Cognos when I would add my newly-appearing Data Items from the Report Template. They told me that I was doing it exactly they way they would after they update their packages, so it must a "a problem on the Windchill side".
Granted, they're working with standard Cognos 8.4.1 against SQL, whereas I'm using WBR against Oracle, but I didn't think that would make a difference. And after exchanging info with Mike and Preeti, I'll stick with that theory.
In Reply to Steve Vinyard:
I was told about this problem and solution by Pierre at PTC. It's a well known issue by anyone who uses Cognos regularly. I think last time we brought it up with TS, we were told that to contact Cognos directly....though must TS guys have very little knowledge of Cognos.