cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Require File Extension in NUMBER for CAD files during Rename

lhoogeveen
17-Peridot

Require File Extension in NUMBER for CAD files during Rename

We generally have our Windchill File Name equal the Number including the file extension for CAD files. Sometimes the file extension gets left off by users when being renamed (it probably gets left off on both fields but the File Name will add the file extension automatically). This can cause some minor name conflicts if drawings and parts/assemblies have the same base names (TEST.drw and TEST.prt but both objects cannot be TEST without the file extension). Is there a way to automatically adding the file extension on the Number like the File Name does or prevent users from leaving off the file extension on the Number? We're on Windchill 10.1 currently.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In 10.1 there is no easy way to get this done. Behaviour to have extension in number was introduced in 10.2 with the preferences - Workgroup Manager Client > Synchronize Number and File Name and  Operations>Upload Upload Drop Number File Extension is set to No

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

In 10.1 there is no easy way to get this done. Behaviour to have extension in number was introduced in 10.2 with the preferences - Workgroup Manager Client > Synchronize Number and File Name and  Operations>Upload Upload Drop Number File Extension is set to No

Awesome. We're upgrading to Windchill 11 later this year and I'll look into this. Thanks!

Hello.

It's an old post, but it seems that 11.1 does not change anything. My parameters are set as explained before, but when doing a "Rename" you can still put the same number for a 3D and its drawing, with causes a conflict.

Did you found a solution ? The tech support tells me it is a windchill limitation...

Top Tags