cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Root folder check in

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Root folder check in

A while back I set the rights so that our users cannot check files in to the root of our Product Context. Because now use change management PTC said we have to give modify rights to any user that creates an ECN Task. Is this true. We continue to get user's forgetting to change the folder of the CAD file.

Steve G

5 REPLIES 5
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:STEVEG)

May want to approach in a different way rather than using permissions.

Object Initialization Rules (OIRs) direct new objects to a specific folder. OTB, all OIRs for all Types direct them to the root folder of the context (/Default). Can just add a folder definition to each existing OIR by extending to /Default/myfolder.
STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Mike,

That seems like a decent option but we would still get users putting files in the wrong folder. 99.5% of the files that get checked in are being set to the correct folder. But when they forget obviously it yells at them to set the folder. And when it does they set the correct folder.

Steve G
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Ok - Then the permissions in place now for objects other than change objects should apply for change objects as well.
Doesn't seem like anything would be fundamentally different.
STEVEG
21-Topaz I

The difference is that I set the permissions on the Cabinet. Setting the permissions to that affects everything so that no matter what gets checked into the root folder PDMLink will allow (or disallow) it.

As far as I know you don't set the permissions on a Type like EPMDocuments or WTDocument, etc for the root folder.

Steve G
ddemay
1-Newbie

You can deny modify on cabinet and grant modify on subfolder. This allows
you to make sure everything requires a folder. However change notice tasks
in Java are CabinetManaged and not Foldered. Therefore, you have to use a
load file to create an addition subdomain and cabinet per context. The OIR
for change activities/tasks is then updated to point at this alternate
cabinet. Ours is called /ChgActivities along with the domain of the same
name. In this domain, you can define a modify cabinet permission for the
change activities.