cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Running Windchill on an Oracle DB that hosts different programs (and schemas) in the same instance

AZ_9656599
4-Participant

Running Windchill on an Oracle DB that hosts different programs (and schemas) in the same instance

I am looking at hosting Windchill in an Oracle hotel (which would be Oracle 19c). This hotel contains multiple application schemas. The installation guides seem to indicate Windchill is expected to be the only application in the Oracle database. As I run Oracle on the Exadata appliances (Oracle's hardware platform), the most efficient use of the hardware is to have fewer databases with more schemas in them - which contradicts what I am reading. That being said, I wanted to verify:  can I run Windchill on an Oracle database that hosts different programs (and schemas) in the same instance? Or, can Windchill can be the only application in the database (as the installation guide alludes)?

1 REPLY 1

Haven't heard of Oracle set up as a hotel - will need to study.

In general, the recommendations are that the production Windchill instance have it's own Oracle instance.

Rehosted / dev / test Windchill systems can all share the same Oracle instance, which can also have other schemas.

Some don't follow these guidelines, and it may be perfectly ok to have a shared instance for production.

Top Tags