cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The community will undergo maintenance on October 16th at 10:00 PM PDT and will be unavailable for up to one hour.

Search in NX and Windows Explorer fails when WGM is running

Dave_K
7-Bedrock

Search in NX and Windows Explorer fails when WGM is running

Version: Windchill 12.0

Use Case: Using Siemens NX 2206 and 2306. When you go File, Open... in NX, and type in the upper right search box, it fails to find anything. Same with Windows Explorer, if I search in the PTC Places directory.

Description:

So users would like to be able to search their workspace, using the search in NX, but it does not work.  I suspect this is because "PTC Places" works like a symbolic link?  Is there a work around or setting, to make this function?  The same thing happens when using the search in Windows Explorer, it fails in the PTC Places directory, but will work in the .wfs directory that PTC Places points to.

Dave_K_0-1724934747116.png

NX 2206 (production) NX 2306 (testing)
Windchill WGM 12.1 and 13.0.2
4 REPLIES 4
Dobi
15-Moonstone
(To:Dave_K)

@Dave_K 

What are your users searching for in the workspace via NX? 

Are the "search in table" options + "open in NX" not viable options? 

Dave_K
7-Bedrock
(To:Dobi)

Part files to open.  We use a "smart" part numbering system, so the user may know the section of the vehicle they want, and using the search would narrow the list down accordingly, as an example.

Search in table, and open in NX are options, but we have users with 10-20 years of experience using NX native.  Telling them they have to change how they have worked, because WGM broke the old way, isn't a good selling point.  Plus WGM/Windchill doesn't utilize Multi-Part Display, so whenever you use "open in NX", WGM sends it to an already existing part tab in NX, so instead of getting a new tab for the new part, you lose the last tab, and users are wondering where the tab, went, and have to take time to restore it.  Using File, Open...  in NX is a much better solution in our view, since it maintains the part tabs, as would being able to utilize the search tool in that window.

The real question is, why does WGM break the search functionality in NX File, Open...?  and in Windows Explorer?

NX 2206 (production) NX 2306 (testing)
Windchill WGM 12.1 and 13.0.2
Dobi
15-Moonstone

You know, I have no argument there 🙂 

I went the route of instructing my users to use "Open from Windchill" on the PTC tab in NX and then searching in there works pretty well. But yeah... not ideal. I'm happy to support an idea to WGM product management that this be looked at. 

YodaKim
13-Aquamarine

Hi @Dave_K 

If Windows Indexing is enabled in the virtual Windchill Folder location for Windchill File System, search would not work in Windows Explorer and File > Open dialog in NX. If the Windchill folder location is set to a local folder where Windows Indexing is not set, the search will work.

Refer to https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS316672 to change the Windchill folder to another folder.

Note, in this setting, search in Commonspace may start working. Be careful that search in CS in Windows Explorer will be very slow.

Thanks,

Yoda

Announcements

Top Tags