cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Searching Using Solr Query Language

ptc-4857215
1-Newbie

Searching Using Solr Query Language

Hello,

The company i work for has recently switched to Windchill 10.0 and I have discovered the advanced search option using solr query language syntax in the keyword field. I have never used solr before and was wondering if there was an easy way to determine the searchable fields. As of now, i have only found two; name: and number:

Searching other fields such as version or context give a bad request error.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

You need to have indexing installed, it is a seperate component. Then you need to index your database. Then you can do keyword searches. For things like Creo objects or Windchill parts, I beleive it reads the header information which includes attributes. For office documents and PDFs that are not vectors, it will index the 1MB of text. There is a whole list of files that it will index.

Version and context should not be keyword searches, but are related to Windchill versioning scheme and the contexts you have created.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, this helped me understand how the solr search is working. Based on your response, it seems that fields such as version, view, last modified, etc. are not indexable and therefore not searchable through keyword search. Essentially I am looking for a way to speed up the searching process. Clicking through the advanced search options and even saved searches are just too time consuming. If solr is not my solution, perhaps it is possible to add additional filter dropdown menus similar to the one for type shown below. If anyone can comment on the possiblity of this that would be great! Thanks!

Capture.JPG

If you want to add more attributes to global search apart from name and number then you need to add those attribute for object type in SearchableAttributesByType.properties file.

For example if you want to add IBA “colour” of WTPart in global search then you need to change below property in [Windchill_Home]\codebase\com\ptc\windchill\enterprise\search\server\SearchableAttributesByType.properties

keywordSearch.wt.part.WTPart=name,number,color

keywordSearch.wt.doc.WTDocument=number,name,attribute1,attribute2

Then use xconfmanager to propagete changes.

Hope this helps.

This thread was very helpful for us to accomplish the same thing. We wanted to expand the keyword search to search more parameters. Some OOTB and some customer meta data attributes.

We did add 'description' and our own attribute to the file Guilherme Dreossi posted but still had some difficulties getting the additional attributes to function as expected in the keyword search textbox. For example when we added description to the list, notice the space after the comma and before the word description.

keywordSearch.wt.doc.WTDocument=number,name, description

We had sent out some emails trying to see who else might have a quick solution to our problem because based on this thread we thought we were really close but discounted the space as a potential issue.

Another one of PTC's resellers, BWIR, responded to our inquiry and offered two additional things to try. These worked for us.

1. Remove the space after the comma and before the "D" in description

2. Also add description and our other attributes we wanted the keyword search to evaluate in the 'keywordSearch.wt.fc.Persistable' property list. Again with no spaces between the commas and the attribute names.

We let our normal backup (shutdown/restart) process at night run and the next morning our keyword searching was searching more than just the name and number fields. This greatly streamlined the searching for our downstream users of the engineering data.

We implemented both items #1 and #2 above at the same time so I do not know which one really solved our problem.

It took us a while to find this post but was what we were looking for.

Top Tags