cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Set Library parts to Read-only during Add to Workspace?

proed
1-Newbie

Set Library parts to Read-only during Add to Workspace?

Hi folks

After a fruitless search of the many preferences and exploder archives, I can't find a method to set CAD files to read-only when someone adds to their workspace. Intralink 3.x had a preference "Without Checkin Authorization" - you could set Read Only or Modify with Warning.

The classic example is library or standard parts, where you don't wish people to change them inadvertently then have trouble later.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edwin Muirhead

4 REPLIES 4
Lohbauer
1-Newbie
(To:proed)

Edwin,

Have you tried modifying the library domain in the policy administrator to remove 'revise' or 'modify' rights for all users.

Bob Lohbauer

On May 4, 2012, at 5:36 AM, "Edwin Muirhead" <edwin.muirhead@eu.weatherford.com<<a style="COLOR:" blue;=" text-decoration:=" underline&quot;=" target="_BLANK" href="mailto:edwin.muirhead@eu.weatherford.com">>">mailto:edwin.muirhead@eu.weatherford.com>> wrote:

Hi folks

After a fruitless search of the many preferences and exploder archives, I can't find a method to set CAD files to read-only when someone adds to their workspace. Intralink 3.x had a preference "Without Checkin Authorization" - you could set Read Only or Modify with Warning.

The classic example is library or standard parts, where you don't wish people to change them inadvertently then have trouble later.

Edwin Muirhead
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Yes, definitely should have different (highly restricted) permissions for the purchased parts Library(s).
If the same designers work on these items at times, it may be worth having a second account for each of them to use for just this work.
proed
1-Newbie

Thanks Bob and Mike.

To clarify: we already have the library parts in a restricted area, soeveryday users can't checkout or revise them... however by default they're still editable in the workspace.

You can manually pick files and use File-Lock to prevent changes, ideally the system would do this automatically for items the user has no permissions on. They could unlock if they want to try what-ifs or edits.

I just thought there may be a preference like Intralink, to auto-lock items you have no desire to edit (also speeds up Pro/E, since regen skips all these).

Regards
Edwin

----

Hi folks

Edwin Muirhead

magnus.salomons
14-Alexandrite

New preference in 10.1 although not linked with user permissions. See attached file.

In Reply to Edwin Muirhead:

Thanks Bob and Mike.

To clarify: we already have the library parts in a restricted area, soeveryday users can't checkout or revise them... however by default they're still editable in the workspace.

You can manually pick files and use File-Lock to prevent changes, ideally the system would do this automatically for items the user has no permissions on. They could unlock if they want to try what-ifs or edits.

I just thought there may be a preference like Intralink, to auto-lock items you have no desire to edit (also speeds up Pro/E, since regen skips all these).

Regards
Edwin

----

Hi folks

Edwin Muirhead

Top Tags