cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Set State in Windchill to Obsolete

Norman
1-Newbie

Set State in Windchill to Obsolete

Ref Windchill 10.2 M020.

Curious to know what "Obsolete" means in Windchill (WC). How is this different from "Release"? Will it still show up in the BOM structure?

3 REPLIES 3
kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:Norman)

Yes, a WTPart with an Obsolete State will still show up in the WTPart Structure (BOM).

Hi Norman,

Unless you are using completely out of the box configurations of Windchill, I would consider life cycle states as merely labels that you as an administrator can determine the functionality of.

Release is a little unusual by default. There is a preference that designates a state as one where when WTParts enter it, an XML file is reduced. If you change this preference, "Released" is generally no more "special" than say "Production" - though this assumes you are not using the out of the box access permissions and a few other configurations.

You can set access control rules by state, one of which is where a user can view the object. This will determine whether they can see the object's information page, it does not determine whether it appears in the Structure. However, you can create table views for the Structure table you refer to that will filter out obsolete objects. Personally, I would not recommend that. To me obsolete objects must be removed from all the BOM they are in before they are made obsolete, but that is a business decision.

Regards,

Toby

Hi,

In PLM world you are not supposed to delete the objects once created. So Instead of deleting the objects those are set to Obsolete.

Top Tags