cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Setting State UI

GregOlson
15-Moonstone

Setting State UI

Does anyone know which preference to set in Windchill that would control what objects a user sees in the set state UI? I have found one that controls revise and it works great for revise...... We have a real problem with some users here that set state on whatever shows up in the UI (FAMILY TABLES). I want to limit what it displays to initially selected and the related drawing only. If they need more they can use the icons to collect more objects.

WC 10.0

WF5

Thanks in advance for the help,

Greg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Understood. The preference for the Set State Collector is in Preferenece Management > Operation > Set State > Collector > Include related Family table objects (default = All). Couple other things to consider though: 1. Promotion Requests can be set to a Review process by default such that no approval is required but all state changes are then recorded, and 2. I would anticipate you may run into a number of similar challenges with Family Tables if they are being used to handle more than just variations in standard components (e.g. nuts, bolts, etc.). While family tables is one of the only ways to deal with configuration management on a flat file system, it actually clashes in a number of areas in Windchill. Of course as a small company, business must go on, but I recommend you take a look into some of the configuration management capabilities built into Windchill and think about working them into your roadmap for sometime in the future.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Why are many users able to perform a Set State? It is a best practice to reserve that feature for administrators. Is there a reason Promotion Requests are not used to transition an object forward in the life cycle?

GregOlson
15-Moonstone
(To:JRCarr)

There are situations where we must bypass the revision process due to family tables (revise one object, but you must check out all depending on the change). To checkout objects we much change state from released to in work.

I understand fully what your saying about the promotion requests...we are too small of a company to justify sending all requests to one person. Maybe in the future, but right now the system is setup as we want.

Understood. The preference for the Set State Collector is in Preferenece Management > Operation > Set State > Collector > Include related Family table objects (default = All). Couple other things to consider though: 1. Promotion Requests can be set to a Review process by default such that no approval is required but all state changes are then recorded, and 2. I would anticipate you may run into a number of similar challenges with Family Tables if they are being used to handle more than just variations in standard components (e.g. nuts, bolts, etc.). While family tables is one of the only ways to deal with configuration management on a flat file system, it actually clashes in a number of areas in Windchill. Of course as a small company, business must go on, but I recommend you take a look into some of the configuration management capabilities built into Windchill and think about working them into your roadmap for sometime in the future.

GregOlson
15-Moonstone
(To:GregOlson)

As the admin here I fully understand what you are saying and I am trying to get changes made here for the future....you would not believe what family tables have been used for here, everywhere and for everything. I think most of the issues that I have had to tackle in the system have been due to family tables. As far as the collector goes, I made the changes yesterday at the org level and tested but forgot that I have personally changed how mine was setup. It now works perfectly. Thank you!

Greg

I hear you, they are a tricky business. Good to hear on the preference!

Top Tags