cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Setup Windchill to send email using Microsoft Office 365

bkontham
11-Garnet

Setup Windchill to send email using Microsoft Office 365

Hi all,

Has anyone  tried to setup Windchill to send emails using Office 365? If so, can you please let me know the procedure.

Thanks,

Bhagirath

10 REPLIES 10
jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:bkontham)

I have not tried it, but I'd start by googling "javamail send office 365" and then applying the settings suggested there -- but via wt.properties settings rather than via Java code.  As per e-mails elsewhere, various I*E and wt properties associated with Windchill mail are preferred, but where no such properties exist (e.g. for TLS), then the documented JavaMail property will do -- at least for recent versions of Windchill.

Hello Bhagirath,

It's not possible to send an email using office 365 directly from Windchill because it's necessary TLS encryption. Please, see this article:

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS111053

To solve this problem, we use a mail relay server, for example the windows 2008 SMTP server. This article explains How to configure Internet Information Server (IIS) for relay with Office 365: Exchange Online Help

The office 365 account used for relaying windchill emails must have "send as permission" for Windchill users mailboxes.

Regards,

Ramon

jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:RamonSalat)

With recent versions of Windchill (i.e. 10.1 or later) you should be able to get mail working with TLS, I believe.

Enter "mail TLS" into search to find related threads.

bkontham
11-Garnet
(To:jessh)

Thanks Jess. I found few threads. I will try to configure and verify.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

Hi Bhagirath,

Were you able to get this working using Jess's suggested helps?

Hi Lori,

Nope. I set the following properties in Site.xconf but Windchill is failing to connect to the Office 365 server.

Office.png

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bhagirath

What error message is printed in the logs when Windchill attempts to connect to the smtp server? That message should give us a better idea of why Windchill is failing to connect.

Hi Chris,

It's falling with "Can't send command to SMTP host".

email.png

Thanks,

Bhagirath

Chris SpartzJess Holle‌  Lori Sood  Any reason why it's failing to send command to SMTP host?

sknox
1-Newbie

We have both our production and test servers set up with Office 365.

We use a relay, and from the IT side you have to add the IP address of the server to the relay. Now a note for the below info, IT just told me that since the IP is "allowed" you don't actually have to pass it credentials. So whole mail.properties lines may not be required.

But otherwise it was pretty simple.

In the Windchill folder next to site.xconf we have a mail.properties file.

contents: (replace bold text)

wt.mail.smtp.username=Username

wt.mail.smtp.password=Password

and within wt.properties we have these lines (again replace bold text)

wt.mail.from=email@email.net

wt.mail.mailhost=relay.company.local

wt.mail.mime.charset=UTF-8

wt.mail.properties=$(wt.home)$(dir.sep)mail.properties

wt.mail.verbose=false

wt.mail.verboseTransport=false

Hopefully that helps.

Steve

*edit: I should mention add the info to wt.properties through the the shell/xconfmanager commands.

Top Tags