cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Soft type versus Hard type performance test?

hmikic
4-Participant

Soft type versus Hard type performance test?

Is there any PTC documentation related to Performance Benchmark test - Soft Typing versus Hard Typing ?

3 REPLIES 3

I guess that performances between soft typing and hard typing are the same and depend only from amount of the attributes and attributes sizes. If type A has more attributes then type B, so A will stored slowly then B.

Hi,

There are not many documents that mark the performance differences between modeled and soft types.

I was able to find some testing that was done on attributes. (see below) (blank shows normal response times)

Modeled Attribute
Standard Attributes
Global Attributes
Structure Navigation & Where UsedHigher

Folder Listing
HigherHigher
Create

Higher
Retrieve

Higher
Checkout

Higher
Update

Higher
CheckinHigher

DeleteHigher

In the Database Modeled Types have their own table as opposed to Soft Types.

The concern being that if you have a lot of Soft Types you may need to check the indexing to ensure the same performance.

Here is an article that I found that mentions using caching to prevent some small performance issue when using many soft type and attributes.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS28189&source=tssearch

• xconfmanager -p -t codebase/wt.properties -s com.ptc.core.lwc.PrimeTypeCache=true

You can also find the instructions for the Modeled to Soft Type utility in the Customizers guide here:

http://support.ptc.com/WCMS/files/154113/en/10_1_M040_WindchillCustomizationGuide.pdf#150

Hope this helps, and good luck with your implementations!

Thanks,

Jarrett

hmikic
4-Participant
(To:JarrettOberg)

Thank you for your help. It helps.

Regards,

Helena

Top Tags