cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Solid Edge ST10 with Windchill 11 ANY ideas?

troberts
11-Garnet

Solid Edge ST10 with Windchill 11 ANY ideas?

We recently acquired a company in Europe using Solid Edge ST10 with no PDM/PLM, 3d-Drawing and assembly files are stored on the server. KPIT solution for Windchill integration is pretty much defunct, even if it supported ST10 and WC11, no guarantee there'd be any upgraded solutions going forward.

What has anyone out there done with Solid Edge data bringing it to Windchill? Bring it in as non-CAD?

How about translating it to SolidWorks and using the SolidWorks WGM?

Other ideas, solutions, frustrations? Any input appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JHall
16-Pearl
(To:troberts)

@troberts 

I am a big proponent of having the fewest number of different CAD systems as possible in a particular Corporate environment. And for the record, I happen to really like Solid Edge.  

That being said, I think you've got a couple of paths ahead of you.

1. Convert to SolidWorks.  This is what I would recommend. Then you can use WGM for SW.

2. Create PDFs of the SE Drawings, and attach the SE files to a WTDocument to store them in Windchill prior to their conversion to Solid Works.

For solution #2. WTParts, with Described by WTDocuments. All SE files attached to the WTDocument as attachments, and the Primary Content being a PDF of the Drawing.   I don't particularly like this solution, and you will have issues as soon as you start working with assemblies. 

Unless PTC adds SE to the WGM, there isn't a pretty path forward here.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
JHall
16-Pearl
(To:troberts)

@troberts 

I am a big proponent of having the fewest number of different CAD systems as possible in a particular Corporate environment. And for the record, I happen to really like Solid Edge.  

That being said, I think you've got a couple of paths ahead of you.

1. Convert to SolidWorks.  This is what I would recommend. Then you can use WGM for SW.

2. Create PDFs of the SE Drawings, and attach the SE files to a WTDocument to store them in Windchill prior to their conversion to Solid Works.

For solution #2. WTParts, with Described by WTDocuments. All SE files attached to the WTDocument as attachments, and the Primary Content being a PDF of the Drawing.   I don't particularly like this solution, and you will have issues as soon as you start working with assemblies. 

Unless PTC adds SE to the WGM, there isn't a pretty path forward here.

Top Tags