cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Standalone WindchillDS for 11.1 to 12.0.2 upgrade

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Standalone WindchillDS for 11.1 to 12.0.2 upgrade

I've read the many posts and articles on this topic and am prepping to setup my environment. I planned on using my index server to temporarily host an 11.2 WindchillDS instance for use with upgrade target and later switch to OpenDJ. Just running it heck of time getting this installed.

First issue was lack of space on /tmp, worked around that.

Next was it complaining about the Java version not being higher than 1.8.0_202:

Invalid Java version. Java 1.8.0_202+ is required. *Installation Directory for Java for Windchill:

however, I downloaded Amazon Corretto 1.8.0_342 (OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Corretto-8.342.07.4). Following CS344918 , I downloaded the latest CPS update (17) which has an updated version of WindchillDS in it. No dice. Still not letting PSI install standalone WindchillDS. Any other thoughts? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yep, Removing the Java Options, suggested by cs178146 accepts the Java version. Now back to the original issue that admin setup my /tmp folder with hardly any space to complete install.  That should be easier issue to solve but strange that its not as simple to have PSI point tmp folder to another place.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Ok, came across this: cs266753  I was using Java options to work around tmp size issue. Does not like that.  Digesting this.

Yep, Removing the Java Options, suggested by cs178146 accepts the Java version. Now back to the original issue that admin setup my /tmp folder with hardly any space to complete install.  That should be easier issue to solve but strange that its not as simple to have PSI point tmp folder to another place.

@avillanueva wrote:

I always do this for alternate tmp directory for the PTC Solution installers.

\rm -r /opt/ptc/Windchill/tmp_install
mkdir /opt/ptc/Windchill/tmp_install
chmod 777 /opt/ptc/Windchill/tmp_install
export IATEMPDIR=/opt/ptc/Windchill/tmp_install

Then run the installer...

I'll give it another try since I am waiting on IT to increase space. The setup script has this in it:

checkTemp()
{
   if ( test "$1" != "" -a -d "$1" -a -w "$1" ); then
      ptc_jre_tmp=$1
      ptc_installer_jres_dir=$ptc_jre_tmp/ptc_installer_jres
   fi
}

findTemp()
{
   ptc_jre_tmp=""
   checkTemp $TMP;
   if ( test "$ptc_jre_tmp" = "" ); then  checkTemp "$TEMPDIR"; fi
   if ( test "$ptc_jre_tmp" = "" ); then  checkTemp "$IATEMPDIR"; fi
   if ( test "$ptc_jre_tmp" = "" ); then  checkTemp "/var/tmp"; fi
   if ( test "$ptc_jre_tmp" = "" ); then  checkTemp "/tmp"; fi
   if ( test "$ptc_jre_tmp" = "" ); then
      echo "ERROR: Cannot locate a writable temporary directory to expand the Java VM into."
      echo "       Please set the environment variable TMP to a temporary directory that may be written to by this user."
      exit 1
   fi

This appears to say look for variables in certain order to write to: TMP then TEMPDIR then IATEMPDIR ... finally defaulting to /tmp. I've tried setting those and following similar steps, I seem to always find folders created by installer in /tmp regardless of what I try.

Ok, that appeared to work. Thanks @RandyJones . Not sure why other variables I used did not work but that one did. 

@avillanueva wrote:

Ok, that appeared to work. Thanks @RandyJones . Not sure why other variables I used did not work but that one did. 

Good! I have been using that for years - started when we were using zones on Solaris.

I wanted to add one more tid bit on this since this thread was point to something else I did not pick up on and ultimately reared back when I was installing Windchill fully.  CS178146 was pointing to checking to make sure that /tmp and /var/tmp were not set with "noexec". I read that as access rights and certainly I can check that root and all users had execute rights in those folders. What I didn't check was the  /etc/fstab file where the mounts were setup:

/dev/mapper/rhel-tmp /tmp                    xfs     defaults,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0

This entry was the cause all along. You can temporarily remove using "mount -o remount,exec /tmp" but boy did learn something here. I suspect that even with setting script to use an alternate temp folder, some still like writing to /tmp regardless and will trip up install. Just wanted to document this and make it searchable.

Top Tags