cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Start a workflow based on a time difference between e.g. the released date and a manually set review date

hvanschijndel
1-Newbie

Start a workflow based on a time difference between e.g. the released date and a manually set review date

Hi All,

I would like to start a workflow based on a time difference between e.g. the released date and a manually set review date. The review date is depending on an attribute and could have a 1, 2 or 3 year interval.

I did see the timer option in a workflow but I wouldn't like to have a workflow waiting for that long and there will be an enormous amount of waiting processes due to the amount of documents.

Could someone help me on possible solutions? I was thinking of using reports and data monitors but didn't find a way to kick off a workflow based on results of that.

Thanks, Hein

3 REPLIES 3

Could you explain a bit more on the first paragraph in your problem statement? Would you iterate/revise the object when the review date is set manually?

You want to start the workflow when the review date is set and the difference is equal to some value?

Hello Ismail,

The document is in 'Released' state and will stay in that state during the review. The review is only ment to check if the security policy of that document is still valid or shoul be decreased to a lower level. This security policy will influence who is able to download the content.

The workflow is only used to sent a remark to the reviewer that he should take action and if not the document will change to a lower security level. So I am looking to start a workflow based on the fact that a time/date (attribute value) has passed.

With kind regards, Hein

Hein,

It seems there is no way to check the documents periodically and start a workflow if a particular document has passed a particular time/date. Even the data monitor sends an e-mail by default. There seems be no way to tweak data monitor behavior to start a workflow instead of sending an e-mail.

Only way I could think of is to write an utility which will check the documents and starts a workflow on a particular condition. You many need to execute it manually or think of automating it.

-Ismail

Top Tags