cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Team Center for ProE Files

Dan_Harlan
1-Newbie

Team Center for ProE Files

Along the lines of the good discussion about Agile EC, I'd like to ask
the same question regarding Team Center. What are the experiences out
there for using Team Center?

My exposure: we have a customer that uses TC for ProE and I have been
through their training. A few issues I picked out include;

- Interrupted saving to TC (upload/checkin) can result in
corrupted datasets (implies to me the architecture does not use a server
side cache with validation)

- Ability to check in instances without checking in the generic

- Allows 'Save Up' of an assembly without including new or
modified components

- Save As does not reset the revision of a model

- Including component drawings during top level assembly fetch
requires special technique

Dan Harlan
Mechanical Engineer / CAD Administrator
480.940.0036 x178 Office
480.940.0039 Facsimile

481 N. Dean Avenue
Chandler, AZ 85226
dharlan@aitint.com <">mailto:dharlan@aitint.com>
www.aitint.com <">http://www.aitint.com>

Attention Disclaimer: This e-mail and its attachments are privileged and confidential and are the exclusive property of Advanced Integration Technologies, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom this e-mail is addressed. Do not copy, use, or distribute this e-mail or its attachments without the consent of Advanced Integration Technologies. If you are not the intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you may not derive any rights from the information contained herein; and any use, dissemination, or reproduction is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Any other use, retention, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

1 REPLY 1

Unless things have changed drastically since I last used Pro/E with TCe (which is possible), then re-naming was also a real pain in the butt.

At that time it was limited to a command line operation and had to be done on each item individually and in the correct order. If you made one mistake it was back to the drawing board - and that was with a TCe guy on-site actually modifying the code as we tried......

The interrupted upload issue proved to be a big problem also due to the corruption issue you have already mentioned.

End conclusion - no 3rd party system will handle a CAD apps data as well as the system from the same manuafcurer. Windchill deos a great job of handling Pro/E as you would expect but even then there are certain things that are still far from perfect. If PTC can't get it right every time, then 3rd party suppliers are always going to have an issue.

We see similar things with Windchill when handling CATIA, UG & Solidworks data. It works reasonably well, but nowhere nearas smoothly as with Pro/E data.

Simon Lucas

Top Tags