cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Ghost objects during replace by copy

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Ghost objects during replace by copy

I have users who keep getting ghost objects for formats created in their workspaces without realizing it. I can reproduce the behavior with this method:

1. Open an assembly

2. Chose some component (that has a drawing, but not currently in the workspace)

3. Replace a component "by copy". Three new items appear in the workspace (not counting the original drawing which has now been added)

a. The new component (ghost object until the assembly or this new component is saved)

b. Drawing of new component

c. Drawing format (ghost object)

Is there any way to have the format pulled from Windchill on the fly during the replace command instead getting a new ghost object created? Using update will replace the workspace ghost object with the real version on the server, but this only works if the user happens to notice the ghost object was created in the first place. Obviously, if the format is already in the workspace the ghost object isn't created.

User training will probably resolve most of this, but I thought I'd see if there is something else I can do on the administrative side. Thanks.

Tom Uminn
Engineering Systems Analyst
trans-matic Mfg.
616-820-2499
-<">mailto:->

2 REPLIES 2
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:TomU)

On 10/18/12 12:20, Uminn, Tom wrote:
>
> I have users who keep getting ghost objects for formats created in their workspaces without realizing it. I can reproduce the behavior with this method:
>
> 1.Open an assembly
>
> 2.Chose some component (that has a drawing, but not currently in the workspace)
>
> 3.Replace a component “by copy”. Three new items appear in the workspace (not counting the original drawing which has now been added)
>
> a.The new component (ghost object until the assembly or this new component is saved)
>
> b.Drawing of new component
>
> c.Drawing format (ghost object)
>

You can also reproduce it as follows (PDMLink 9.1 M050 and M070)

1. set config.pro option rename_drawings_with_object both
2. fire up Pro/Engineer and create a new workspace
3. add to the workspace a prt that has an associated drawing. Add the prt only.
4. open the prt in Pro/Engineer
5. File | Save a Copy...
6. type in new name and select OK
7. in the Workspace notice the ghost object for the format instead of the real format.

I opened call c10299174 (spr 2081618) on April 26, 2011 for this issue. Still not fixed.
In my case this involved a mapkey so my workaround was to add "opening the format and closing the window" to the mapkey.

> Is there any way to have the _format_ pulled from Windchill on the fly during the replace command instead getting a new ghost object created? Using update will replace the workspace ghost object with the real version on the server, but this only works if the user happens to notice the ghost
> object was created in the first place. Obviously, if the format is already in the workspace the ghost object isn’t created.
>
> User training will probably resolve most of this, but I thought I’d see if there is something else I can do on the administrative side. Thanks.
>
> *Tom Uminn*
>
> Engineering Systems Analyst
>
> *trans**-matic*Mfg.
>
> 616-820-2499
>
> - <">mailto:->
>
> ********CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE********
>
> The information in this email may be confidential and/or privileged.
> This email is intended to be reviewed and used only by the individual
> or organization named above for the explicit purpose of conducting
> business with Trans-matic Mfg. Co. If you are not the intended recipient
> or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination or copying of this email and its attachments, if any, or the information contained herein is strictly prohibited, and no privilege or protection has been waived. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email and delete this email from your system.
>
> -----End Original Message-----

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
1525 E North St
PO Box 5060
Salina, KS USA 67401
email: -
Phone: 785-823-3276
Fax: 785-667-2695
------------------------------------------------------------------------

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:TomU)

Yes, we do have that config.pro option set to “Both” as well. Same behavior.
Top Tags