cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Testing if model exists in PDMLink

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Testing if model exists in PDMLink

In situations where products and libraries are private (now view access), there is the scenario where an engineering might build a model only to find that it exists in an area where they cannot see (uniqueness exception). Does anyone have a work around for this? I was thinking of a method where they can check if something exists and return a yes or no to that query.

Antonio Villanueva - Gen Engrg Mgr, CM - ISR Systems
UTC AEROSPACE SYSTEMS

11 REPLIES 11
cc-2
6-Contributor
(To:avillanueva)

Hi
this is a big dilemna. If he is creating something that already exists but cannot see, My first question is, why can't he see it. Obviously if he can create it, then he knows it already well enough so therefore, he should be able to see it.You see my point ?

Le Vendredi 24 avril 2015 15h53, "Villanueva, Antonio UTAS" <-> a écrit :

In situations where products and libraries are private (now view access), there is the scenario where an engineering might build a model only to find that it exists in an area where they cannot see (uniqueness exception). Does anyone have a work around for this? I was thinking of a method where they can check if something exists and return a yes or no to that query. Antonio Villanueva– Gen Engrg Mgr, CM – ISR Systems UTC AEROSPACE SYSTEMS
Site Links: View post online View mailing list online Start new thread via email Unsubscribe from this mailing list Manage your subscription

Use of this email content is governed by the terms of service at:

It sounds like the “Why can’t he see it?” is due to PDMLink permissions. A user can not access (i.e. see in a Table listing) a file in a Folder or Product to which he does not have permission.

And just because a user can not see (i.e. does not have access to) a file, it does not mean a file with the same FILENAME does not exist in the system.

Hence, a user’s inability to Check-In his newly-created file (which has the same filename as the unseen file already in the system).

***** Does that correctly describe your issue, Antonio? ********

So it sounds like Antonio is asking, “How can a user search for a file (i.e. FILENAME) in the system if he does not have permission to see/access the location in which that file might reside?

I don’t have an answer since all my users have equal access here. I’d have to create a new user with restricted access and try.

But does anybody out there have restricted-access users who can recreate Antonio’s situation and provide a method for a restricted-access user to find filenames which reside in Products/Folder to which he doesn’t have access?

Scott Pearson
Senior Designer
CAD System Administrator

[cid:image003.png@01D07E78.6DC90410]S O U T H W E S T R E S E A R C H I N S T I T U T E®
Space Science and Engineering Division
Space Systems Directorate
Department of Space Engineering
6220 Culebra Road, San Antonio, TX 78238

If the user doesn't have at least Read permission, there is no other way for him to know that file already exists. That's what the Read permission does: allow users like him to at least know the file exists. While Read & Download are used together quite often (IME), the separation should allow permission to at least search if the file exists if the intent is to prohibit that user from downloading it to a workspace and seeing/using it.

If that user should be able to both see and download/use the file, then it's a policy problem.

You are in the same situation when a CADuser has uploaded a new CADdocument. Since it's not checked in yet, never, it's not accessible by other users. But the identity is already reserved for that CADdocument, so someone else can't use it anymore. Only the org administrator can help you out, here.

Regards and enjoy your weekend, Hugo.

<< ProE WF5 - PDMLink 10.1 M040>>

So, just to add to this, for the programming gurus here: Is there an API
call or algorithm that can be used to identify when a given object exists
in a Private Access Product?

This is causing some major grief.

Benjamin A Bailey
Department Manager
Information Technology
Engineering Data Systems/PDM
Missile Systems
Raytheon Company

Upcoming PTO: May 18-22

+1 520.545.6579 (office)
+1 520-403-1842 (cell)
-

6221 S Palo Verde Rd
Tucson, AZ 85706-5093 USA
www.raytheon.com

Raytheon Sustainability

This message contains information that may be confidential and privileged.
Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive mail for the
addressee), you should not use, copy or disclose to anyone this message or
any information contained in this message. If you have received this
message in error, please so advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete
this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

cc-2
6-Contributor
(To:avillanueva)

Excellent point Hugo

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
At 24 Apr 2015 16:31:17, Hugo -'> wrote:
You are in the same situation when a CADuser has uploaded a new CADdocument. Since it's not checked in yet, never, it's not accessible by other users. But the identity is already reserved for that CADdocument, so someone else can't use it anymore. Only the org administrator can help you out, here.
Regards and enjoy your weekend, Hugo.
ProE WF5 - PDMLink 10.1 M040>>

Site Links: View post online View mailing list online Start new thread via email Unsubscribe from this mailing list Manage your subscription

Use of this email content is governed by the terms of service at:

Thanks for the replies. Yes, you have described my issue correctly. If we had users check a different method, then they could avoid wasting time. Another thing we could do is ask that they create a CAD Document first in workspace before just creating model in Creo and saving. That should indicate if item exists or not.

As Org Admin (probably Site Admin, too) I can see any objects created by any user even if it hasn't yet been checked in, with a basic search. This may require them to be uploaded (which we do automatically).

I'm not sure if it's possible to set it up for an account with less permissions, such as a product manager. Probably just a matter of finding the right policy settings.

In Reply to Ben Bailey:

So, just to add to this, for the programming gurus here: Is there an API
call or algorithm that can be used to identify when a given object exists
in a Private Access Product?

This is causing some major grief.

Benjamin A Bailey
Department Manager
Information Technology
Engineering Data Systems/PDM
Missile Systems
Raytheon Company

Right after posting I remembered we also have this set up (see attached).

I'm not sure if would even see objects in restricted/private contexts, but it's worth bringing up in case prmpts someone else's memory.

(Now, if only I could remember where that setting is at...)

In Reply to Antonio Villanueva:

Thanks for the replies. Yes, you have described my issue correctly. If we had users check a different method, then they could avoid wasting time. Another thing we could do is ask that they create a CAD Document first in workspace before just creating model in Creo and saving. That should indicate if item exists or not.

On 04/24/15 11:47 AM, Ben A Bailey wrote:
>
> So, just to add to this, for the programming gurus here: Is there an API call or algorithm that
> can be used to identify when a given object exists in a Private Access Product?
>

You can bypass Windchill api's and directly query the oracle table(s). For example to see if a
particular name or number was already taken for a cad document something like the following querys
would work:

* Checking for existing cad document with cadname = xyz.prt:
o select cadname from epmdocument where cadname = 'xyz.prt'
* Checking for existing cad document with number = XYZ.PRT
o select documentnumber from epmdocument where documentnumber = 'XYZ.PRT'

>
> This is causing some major grief.
>
> *Benjamin A Bailey*
> Department Manager
> Information Technology
> Engineering Data Systems/PDM
> Missile Systems*
> Raytheon Company*
>
> *Upcoming PTO: *May 18-22
>
> +1 520.545.6579 (office)
> +1 520-403-1842 (cell)_
> -_ <">mailto:->
>
> 6221 S Palo Verde Rd
> Tucson, AZ 85706-5093 USA_
> __www.raytheon.com_

One of the simplest way is to define the Report for EPMDoocument (limited columns/data) with bypass acess control and exposed report to Users Home tab.

By running this report, user can easily find out if CAD of same number/file name already exists (location/container) in Windchill or not

Issue I see with such report is that User can generate report without giving any criteria or value. In such case windchill will retrive all data.

Regards,

Avinash

Top Tags