cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

To choose the version of your document during creation

HenriMarchal
1-Newbie

To choose the version of your document during creation

Hello,

I have not found OOTB mechanism to let the user choose the version of his document (or WTObject) when he creates one. Is it possible to do it easyly ? for example, if he wants to create starightforwardly a C.1 version.

Cheers

11 REPLIES 11

Hello Henri,

You can achieve this by defining the start version as C.1 directly, instead of A.1.(OOTB)

The other way is to create an attribute called "<COMPANY>_version" and assign manual numbering to this, which overrides your OOTB Windchill version numbering.

HTH.

Hello Ravin,

yes, I have seen this possibility to set C.1 as the start version for everybody, but I need something more flexible: the user must be able to choose his version.

And I'm not very comfortable with the idea to substitute it by an home made version IBA.

I steel search a way closer to OOTB.

Thank you.

Henri,

The other way is to create an enumerated type IBA in which you can have a dropdown - if you are using too many of versions - and user can select the specific value from the drop-down.

HTH

I don't think it's possible for non-CAD documents without a customization. Doesn't look to be a complex one, though.

Have you considered always creating the "A" version and then revising to any version you need?

Yes I did consider to let them revise the Version A.1, but this first version remains in the system as a ghost, it does not fill really the requirement.

Another problem is wether it is not the creator of the document who clicks on revise, typically the job of the configuration manager, then the creator of the new version will be this configuration manager... and follows a lot of problems with assignments of tasks. My application works like this now !

This is really why I'm searching a solution.

You're right, as the preference does not exist OOTB, the best should be a customization. But just now, I must fix what is delivered in PRODuction. Do you think it is possible to change the "created by" attribute of a document via java code ?

The only current method is by "bulk loading" by a Windchill admin using a Windchill shell. We do this very commonly.

Need to use the "load from file" framework. Pretty straight forward but requires an admin with access to the Windchill desktop.

Note: Attached was made for WC 8 - there was a limitation at the time that you could only load to Libraries, not Products, so we always loaded to a Library named "Transfer." That is no longer needed - can load directly to a Product.

This info is all there in the Load guide, just very difficult to read and follow.

I found something very close to my need. You can activate the preference "Allow Override On Insert". Then the user can choose his version but he must create the document via "File -> New -> Insert document". And by the way, there is a collateral damage, he loses the numbering system generation functionnality (because he is forced to set the number himself).

This is an interesting question and I am wondering what the background is. As already replied you can of course set you versioning schemes to your standards when creating objects. Is this an ongoing problem or are you talking about loading existing released documents. ? Users should never have revise access policies unless they are an Admin. Changing part Revs in Windchill should only happen via a controlled change order workflow. If you need to load a bunch of legacy docs than you can do so via a loader, but if it is just a few here and there than the Admin can simply do a "new revision" action to create the object with the REV of your choice.

Cheers

Cuyler, we are facing the situation we mencioned above. We are putting on line the Windchill 10 and we have a lot of legacy data to upload. Could you explain me how to use the loader?

Thank you

Renaldo

Hi, sorry, I can't help you there as I have not loaded parts myself. Our consultant loaded all legacy docs at go-live in bulk.

Are you going to Windchill 10.0 from a previous version..? or is this new for you...?

Hi Renaldo,

You need to Create a Flat File loader where the source would be XLS.

in the source XLS, you can pre set colum for Name, Number and Version and may be location and Attribute if any.

In General this the best way to laod legacy file to Windchill.

Thanks,
Rahul

Top Tags