cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Up to 100 users: Oracle standard edition, Oracle Standard edition one, Oracle Enterprise edition

ptc-113113
1-Newbie

Up to 100 users: Oracle standard edition, Oracle Standard edition one, Oracle Enterprise edition

Hi,
Given:
For Windchill, if you have need to supply Oracle licenses for 100 or more users, where 50% are heavy users and 50% are lite users
Assume we will NOT do hot backups, but will schedule late night down time to backup the system.

Which edition of Oracle would you use?
* Oracle Standard Edition?
* Oracle Standard Edition One?
* Oracle Enterprise Edition?

Isn't standard edition "good enough" to provide a robust installation? Why or Why not?

For a server that we already own, we have There are two processor sockets, the CPU's are Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2356. My current information is that Oracle is licensing by cpu socket, not cpu core.

Do you recommend per user licenses or per socket licenses?

Option Bonus Question for extra credit only.

How much would you expect to pay for each?

TIA,

Andrew Amsden
CAD\PDM Administrator
Midmark Corporation
937-526-8770

1 REPLY 1
rpassolt
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-113113)

Andrew,

Oracle has all the retail pricing on their website...I think page 9 talks about the socket licensing. It's my understanding that Standard Edition and SE One go by socket and not core. Pretty sure you are right about 2 available sockets...more than 2 and you can't go with SE One. There's also a user count limit to SE One, but I can't remember the exact number except that I'm pretty sure it's higher than 100.

http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/technology-price-list.pdf

We don't get much margin on Oracle software so discounting is really not an option for us, but I think some of the other big players can give some discount.

Make sure you do not buy "Application Specific" licensing...get "normal" licensing. If you own normal licenses then you have the ability to upgrade from SE One to SE to Enterprise.

Rick

Announcements

Top Tags