cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Update from Intralink to Windchill PDMLink best practice

MattPat
12-Amethyst

Update from Intralink to Windchill PDMLink best practice

Hello all,

I am quite new to Windchill Administration and now and I am faced with a big task. For my client, I have to update Intralink 11.1 to Windchill PDMLink 11.1. I found a quick guide here but it is not clear to me.

What are the steps of this update? I know I have to make all backups like for a regular system upgrade and then I should run PSI and select Update Existing Installation. 

If someone has the experience and can help me with this update it will be a huge help.

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:MattPat)

I've never done this conversion, but based on the documentation it sounds like you just re-run the installer.

TomU_0-1602769416019.png

https://www.ptc.com/support/-/media/support/refdocs/Windchill_PDMLink/11,-d-,1/WCInstallConfigGuide_173750.pdf?sc_lang=en

(page 70)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomU
23-Emerald IV

I've never done this conversion, but based on the documentation it sounds like you just re-run the installer.

TomU_0-1602769416019.png

https://www.ptc.com/support/-/media/support/refdocs/Windchill_PDMLink/11,-d-,1/WCInstallConfigGuide_173750.pdf?sc_lang=en

(page 70)

MattPat
12-Amethyst
(To:TomU)

Thank you so much. Do you think that after a successful installation it will be working as previous I mean there will be the same users, files etc? 

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I would think so.  As long as you backup the database and the Windchill directory on the server, it should be simple enough to roll back to the pre-upgrade configuration if you don't like something or it didn't work the way you hoped.

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

How did you get the job from your client to do this if you don't have the needed knowledge and experience?

I won't be doing alone. I have to prepare todo list and support another team 😉

You don't have to be mean. I thought this community is for asking questions. 

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Sorry, The forum for sure is for asking questions.  Absolutely not trying to be mean.

Just wondering if possibly your company has an agreement to provide a range of services for which you do have needed expertise and this was added to that list.

No person can know all these things - and even if you do they keep changing so you're out of date quickly.

I have experience going from Intralink 3.x to Windchill PDMLink eons ago but not since.

Note: Intralink 7.x and beyond are actually the full Windchill PDMLink installation with many things disabled.  The "migration" is mostly just enabling many of those things.

The database and Windchill DS remain essentially the same, so all users, CAD and other data, states, history, published viewables, etc., etc. remain.

Top Tags