cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Vault

cc-2
6-Contributor

Vault

Hello all,

I am wondering how other companies manage their PDMLink vault. We are currently at about 30% of complete management of our CAD data into ProE engineering and we need to create a new vault every 6 month as we want to keep the number of file to around half million.

We regularly remove the unreferenced file. This is a "best practice" we adopted some time ago as one of our first vault reached the limit authorized per window. We had more than 2 millions files. Also having too many files in a vault can create issue with backup and recovery. We currently have 6 vaults but as the system is more and more adopted at that rythm I expect that a new vault will need created every month, over years we will end up with tens and hundreds of vault. Which is a bit scary as this could lead to other type of issues

I am wondering how you are managing this, how many vaults you have etc...

ours are simply called vault1, vault2, vault3 etc... which is not very good because after we will have vault10 inserted between vault1 and vault2 if we sort per name. We also plan to have the vaults created automatically once we reach a certain size but this will only give the admin a bit less to do and does not solve the fact that we will end up with a lot of vaults.

We are currently using 9.1M050

Thank you for your feedback and sharing your experience

Best regards

4 REPLIES 4
cc-2
6-Contributor
(To:cc-2)

Hi

I copy paste the reply here as I received them directly.

RESPONSE 1

Our file limit per vault is set at 50K files. Depending on your vaulting OS, you can go more or less. I am on Windows, so that limits me to 64K max. The 50K limit in Windchill is a convenient number.

I also do unreferenced file purges monthly, maybe 6 weeks.

When we go WC10/10.1 I will enable automatic vault creation. Being on 9.0m050, I don’t have that option, yet.

RESPONSE 2

ArturPonurski
5-Regular Member

One mastervault with 69 folders (folder auto creation is on, folder size 50000 objects)

Migrated from intralink 3.4 – Intralink vault size was: 900MB (in 11 folders) in Dec 2010

From Dec 2010 – Jul 2012 ( now 69 folders) 1.7TB of data and total number of objects approx: 3100000 in master vault.

Unferreneced done every 1-2 months,

Yes, I also would like to know from Windchill experts how do you manage this since for us it is growing very fast (one decision we made is dm_upload_objects= automatic in config.pro in Creo so all files user have in local WS are being saved/uploaded to server side workspace also)

Benefit of the dm_upload_objects= automatic –no issues with recovering local files from worksations (WC_FileRecovery tool was not working for me very well) , local WS is always accessible for user no matter which machine/geographic location she/he is using.

Drawback of the dm_upload_objects= automatic – storage increasing fast (it costs us a lot of money to store data)

Any other suggestions how to decrease storage usagewithout tuning off dm_upload_objects= automatic ?

Thx,Artur

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Purge unreferenced files should take care of the extra files from the dm_upload_objects=automatic setting.
Overall, the files in Windchill seem to be larger than they were in Intralink.
Are there secondary files being created by Windchill behind the scene? One Pro/E file is creating X Windchill files, one of which is the Pro/E file.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

On 07/25/12 08:20, Loosli, Ben H wrote:
>
> Purge unreferenced files should take care of the extra files from the dm_upload_objects=automatic
> setting.
>
> Overall, the files in Windchill seem to be larger than they were in Intralink.
>
> Are there secondary files being created by Windchill behind the scene?
>

Do you have publishing enabled? If so then this creates many files.

> One Pro/E file is creating X Windchill files, one of which is the Pro/E file.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Ben H. Loosli
>
> USEC, INC.
>
> *From:*Artur Ponurski [
Top Tags