cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Versioning scheme update

bwilson-2
4-Participant

Versioning scheme update

Hi all,

Quick question. I have a customer who has some files in Windchill that are using an OOTB mil-std versioning scheme. They want to change to a File based series. I know I can implement a new file based series but what effect does that have on the files that are already in WC? I don’t think it will affect them at all but I wanted to be sure. Is there any way to update an existing file to use the new file based series sort of the way can use “Reassign Lifecycles”?

Thanks,

Brian

2 REPLIES 2

No, installing a new series has no effect on existing objects and you have to update your OIRs to make use of your new series.

To update existing objects to your new series, I got this from PTC TS and it worked perfectly.
It is very easy to use and you can specify which types, including your own custom types, to use which series.

You need to run this utility at a Windchill shell
windchill wt.vc.MasteredSeriesCleanser -help

The help is quite detailed, only the -update option will actually modify the series, therefore you can safely run the utility with all the other options in the help while you are familiarizing yourself with the utility.

joe bell
GSIMS Administrator
GPS Sustainment Information Management System
719-474-8899
bellj@gpssims.com<">mailto:bellj@gpssims.com>

We've done this a couple times. One thing to test is to see if the versions are sorted correctly in the version and iteration history. There is a command you need to run that will regenerate the sort order.

Otherwise the newest iteration may have a "Go to Latest" when it was truly the latest confusing the users.

These are the commands we used

Solution provided by PTC support C#7729438
1. Take backup of the SeriesSortValue table using the following command:

Create table seriessortvalue_bak AS (SELECT * FROM seriessortvalue);

2.delete the contents of the table using the following command:

DELETE seriessortvalue;
commit;

3. Shutdown Windchill, clean up Tomcat\work and Windchill\tasks\codebase\...\compiledTasks...., restart Windchill.

4. Open a new Windchill Shell and execute following command:

windchill wt.series.SeriesSortValuePopulater
5. Verify populater works by comparing the number of records in seriessortvalue and seriessortvalue_bak;

Top Tags