cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

So, when can I control Creo View or Parametric with my hands?

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

So, when can I control Creo View or Parametric with my hands?

www.utcaerospacesystems.com
CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING: This message may contain proprietary and/or privileged information of UTC Aerospace Systems and its affiliated companies. If you are not the intended recipient please 1) do not disclose, copy, distribute or use this message or its contents, 2) advise the sender by return e-mail, and 3) delete all copies (including all attachments) from your computer. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
jnelson
13-Aquamarine
(To:avillanueva)

What would be a practical use case for this in Electrical and Mechanical design? Already have enough issues with selection mechanism, especially with thin Sheetmetal parts. Additionally, can't image what component placement, or selection would be like. Sure it sounds and looks cool, but I can list off functionality/capability I would much rather see PTC spend there resources on.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

----- Reply message -----
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:avillanueva)

The shake and explode had been done a year earlier by Siemens on their iPad version of TeamCenter. PTC's announcement was just a 'we can do it, too'.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

I'm kinda with Joel on this one. The hurdles seem to be quite daunting with some of the functionality we typically use in Creo.

On the other hand, I'm wondering somewhat about touch-screen capabilities. While I realize the cost of touch-screens large enough to accomodate CAD uses may be out of reach, I believe it's much more realistic that this is a more feasible direction than motion sensing gadgets.

In Reply to Joel Nelson:

What would be a practical use case for this in Electrical and Mechanical design? Already have enough issues with selection mechanism, especially with thin Sheetmetal parts. Additionally, can't image what component placement, or selection would be like. Sure it sounds and looks cool, but I can list off functionality/capability I would much rather see PTC spend there resources on.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

I have played with space balls and related input devices. I will admit that they offered little benefit other than reducing repetitive motion injuries. I included Creo View in the mix b/c when viewing 3D data, manipulating with a device like the Leap Motion might make sense and be efficient. Based on the videos, there is no difference in this than a touch screen. Its actually a touch-less no screen and at $80!.

I do not see this replacing a mouse (yet). Using my fat fingers to draw lines would be like drawing with crayon or magic market. Now selection, spinning, maniputation, complex gestures? Its worth exploring.

If you look at some of the developer samples, the Leap motion controller has an impressive level of control, and I'd think that it would be much more adaptable to CAD uses than you might expect and would probably enhance use more than a pure touch screen interface. (Plus it will work with any screen configuration for a very low cost!)

As far as real resources are concerned, I want PTC to stay focused on functions and capabilities, but if they ignore developing technologies (motion, AR, off site HPC, etc.) too much, one of their competitors may beat them to a game changer.

Presumably PTC's effort in this is limited as the LEAP folks are going to have to do a lot of the work to make their product do the task. This isn't much different from the space ball controllers.

One of the engineering groups here got a pre-order for one of the LEAP devices for evaluation (I don't know how they got THAT through the budget approval process) and have been bugging our PTC rep about how it will work with Creo.
Top Tags