cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

View and manipulate other users' Windchill workspace contents?

gchampoux
1-Newbie

View and manipulate other users' Windchill workspace contents?

As an administrator, I have the ability to view a list of other users' workspaces.
But that is all I can do. I cannot see the workspace contents.
Is there a way to do so? And can I manipulate those objects?
Our primary purpose is to delete new files (never checked in) that are conflicting with other people's need to use the same file name.

I know I could do this by logging in as the user, but I want to avoid that option.
We use Active Directory authentication. It requires too much bureaucracy to get the password changed, and changed again when the user returns.
We are only trying to address a situation when the user is out of the office (not terminated).

Gerry Champoux
Williams International
Walled Lake, MI

1 REPLY 1

First, we're still on 8.0, so that may affect the viability of this answer.

When I log in as an Org admin, I can do a basic search and the results return files in user workspaces, even if they've never been checked in. I had used 9.1 in the past, but I don't remember if that functionality was still available or if this was something PTC implemented out of WC as an 'enhancement'.

We also use automatic upload in our config.sup, so that may have something to do with it.

Too bad users can't be forced to check in their work at the end of every day. Even with internal policy telling them to, I've run into too many uses in past positions that simply refuse to do so. Maybe that's an enhancement PTC could look into. Either allow admins to manipulate workspace files or have the system auto-check in at a specified time every evening.

Nah! That might be TOO convenient.

In Reply to Gerry Champoux:

As an administrator, I have the ability to view a list of other users' workspaces.
But that is all I can do. I cannot see the workspace contents.
Is there a way to do so? And can I manipulate those objects?
Our primary purpose is to delete new files (never checked in) that are conflicting with other people's need to use the same file name.

I know I could do this by logging in as the user, but I want to avoid that option.
We use Active Directory authentication. It requires too much bureaucracy to get the password changed, and changed again when the user returns.
We are only trying to address a situation when the user is out of the office (not terminated).

Gerry Champoux
Williams International
Walled Lake, MI

Top Tags