cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Visio Anyone?

kpritchard
4-Participant

Visio Anyone?

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone id managing Visio content in Windchill? If so, how are you handling it? Is each page a Separtate Document or the drawing is a Document? How are you handling references to other Drawings? (e.g. Process Diagrams)

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:kpritchard)

Keir, its a small startup group. You might have to ask this question in the Windchill Community for wider participation. I would be very interested in the results. Getting Visio supported with DTI has been high on my list for some time. Would be great to know if there are any specific requirements.

It's entered as a Document, subtype Diagram. All other "drawings" are in AutoCAD.

kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:vedderkris)

Thanks!

Are you working with off-page connectors to other Visio Documents? Or are all linkages to/from different pages in the same Visio Document? Using a WTDocument, I'm not seeing how linkages to other Visio Documents would work.

I'm conceptualizing a use case of process management. The trade off as I see it is using a WTDocument to contain the Visio file would probably mean all processes on different pages of the same Visio file... resulting in "if any process changes the entire all encompasing Visio file would need to change. I see this like having to change a top level end item assembly model in Creo to modify a part model. I am hoping someone has insights on managing off-page connectors to other Visio Documents so that a single process would equate to a single Visio/WTDocument allowing each to me revised/modified independently (much, much more manageable!)

Dynamic Document (sibling to CAD Document) would seem to support these linkages better that WTDocument.

I guess it comes down to how do you make the content aware of the container? Hyperlinks in an HTML file would be similar in behaviour... built for file management system, so how do you make work for PDM/PLM Content Management

I'm sorry our Visio diagrams are not that complex. I don't think we are even using our CAD documents the best way in PDMLink.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Thank you for sharing this use case. I will need to do a little home work with Microsoft to determine whether or not they publish or provide access to the doument relationship map. PTC created a dynamic document interface for Mathcad for just this reason and now the majority of users who create single Mathcad worksheets (no external dependencies) wish they have a DTI like interface for Mathcad instead.

cc-2
6-Contributor

Hi

I am using Visio in Windchill but in what I call a static way. That is, I upload the visio file in a wtdocument. As not all users have Visio, before review I attach to the wtdocument a pdf of the visio. This has become a standard practice so people who do not have Visio know there is always a pdf (if not forgotten by the users 😮 )

After this, it is a wtdocument, so I use standard functionalities of wtdocument for references, link to WTpart when required etc….

Top Tags