cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

WC 10.0 file server question

dpalmer
1-Newbie

WC 10.0 file server question

We just upgraded from WC 9.1 M050 to WC 10.0 M030. We have 3 file (replica) server around the planet. There is something new and "improved" in WC 10.0 that is most annoying and makes no sense to me and I'm wondering if any of my fellow WC admins are having the same problem.

Every timethere's a disruption in Windchill, I have to open the file server manager and at the bottom of the page there's anew "feature" to manage the file servers (which is actually oka). However, with every disruption, I have open this page andright click on each file server to take eachone off line and then back on line before WC will communicate with them. As in they are not accessible to the users until I do this. This was not a "feature" in WC 9.1 that I'm aware of.So every night when we run backups or any time we stop and start Windchill, we have to perform this extra step. Since Windchill is running on the file servers, this additional step makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Of courese, I opened a call with PTC and they said WC 10 is working as advertised.

Does anyone else running WC 10 and using file servers have to do this too? Can anyone explain the reason? Is there away around this, an optionor configuration setting somewhere that will get around this?

Thanks in advance for any and all help! Dave

3 REPLIES 3

The start and stop of your backup should do the trick. No additional commands need to be run. Run a test after a backup and see if replication is still working for you afterward without doing the manual work.

[cid:image001.gif@01CDB362.6B9E5D40]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer

Steve,

Every time I do a Windchill stop and start, I see following when I go the to File Server Management screen:

and

When I check them in the Vault Configuration, they are not set to readonly:

I always right click on the file servers in the File Server Management screen and "restart" them but taking them off line and back on line.

I have done some testing and even in the state above I can set my preferred server to the taiwan-replica and check objects out, modify them, and check them back in, so maybe this isn't an issue at all? I'm just wondering why the File Server Management screen shows the file servers in a read only state and in need of a restart?

Thanks for any input.

Best Regards, Dave

David C. Palmer
BT/IT STG Design Tools System Admin Phone:1-919-486-0601
E-mail: dcpalm@us.ibm.com

3039 E Cornwallis Rd
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-2195
United States

To: David C Palmer/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, "-" <->
Date: 10/26/2012 01:15 PM
Subject: RE: [solutions] - WC 10.0 file server question

The start and stop of your backup should do the trick. No additional commands need to be run. Run a test after a backup and see if replication is still working for you afterward without doing the manual work.

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer

First and foremost, thanks to everyone who replied. All the responses were helpful and educational as well.

After working with PTC, here's what the person said, "We will have to now turn off the autoManageCCS property to false right now. As that might be causing the problem." Per his wording, I'm not sure if this is a known problem at PTC. I asked him if PTC is working on a solution but he has not replied yet.

Bottom line, I set autoManageCCS to false and haven't had an issue with my file server being off line since. I plan to leave it set to false and update the files servers manually until PTC provides a fix or assures me changing other configuration settings will solve the problem.

If you're experiencing this issue, I would highly recommend making this change.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Best Regards, Dave

David C. Palmer
BT/IT STG Design Tools System Admin Phone:1-919-486-0601
E-mail: dcpalm@us.ibm.com

3039 E Cornwallis Rd
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-2195
United States

To: -
Date: 10/26/2012 01:02 PM
Subject: [solutions] - WC 10.0 file server question

We just upgraded from WC 9.1 M050 to WC 10.0 M030. We have 3 file (replica) server around the planet. There is something new and "improved" in WC 10.0 that is most annoying and makes no sense to me and I'm wondering if any of my fellow WC admins are having the same problem.
Every time there's a disruption in Windchill, I have to open the file server manager and at the bottom of the page there's a new "feature" to manage the file servers (which is actually oka). However, with every disruption, I have open this page and right click on each file server to take each one off line and then back on line before WC will communicate with them. As in they are not accessible to the users until I do this. This was not a "feature" in WC 9.1 that I'm aware of. So every night when we run backups or any time we stop and start Windchill, we have to perform this extra step. Since Windchill is running on the file servers, this additional step makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Of courese, I opened a call with PTC and they said WC 10 is working as advertised.
Does anyone else running WC 10 and using file servers have to do this too? Can anyone explain the reason? Is there away around this, an option or configuration setting somewhere that will get around this?
Thanks in advance for any and all help! Dave

Site Links: View post online View mailing list online Send new post via email Unsubscribe from this mailing list Manage your subscription

Use of this email content is governed by the terms of service at:
Top Tags