cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

WIndchill 12.1 in-place Upgrade

SrikanthM
5-Regular Member

WIndchill 12.1 in-place Upgrade

I am planning for a windchill upgrade from 11.0 to 12.1 on the same server. I have gone through the Upgrade Guide but it is little confusing.

My Question is: Should I do the Import and export of LDAP and Database for this in-place upgrade also OR

I would just follow the same steps to install 12.1 on the same server as I did for 11.0?( such as LDAP connection and Database user?) and run the upgrade Manager.

After Running the upgrade Manager, Will I see both versions available on my server C drive --ptc folder?

OR it would just overwrites on older version?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:SrikanthM)

I'm going to chime in with a few comments.

1.)  There's really no such thing as an 'in place upgrade'.  The Windchill application has to be installed in it's own new folder.  This new installation will be completely separate from the previous installation, even if located on the same physical server.  It's not possible to update the files in the existing Windchill folder during an 'upgrade'.  The only times the existing installation (in the same folder) can be updated is during a critical patch install or during a maintenance release install.

2.)  'Upgrading' Windchill really means to install a brand new clean Windchill system (and empty database), then overwrite that new database with the one from your old system, and finally run the 'upgrade manager' process to update this old database to work with the new Windchill system.

3.)  It is possible to install many different versions of Windchill, or even multiple copies of the same Windchill version, on the same server at the same time, but only one of them can actually be running at a time.  If you configure Windchill to run as a Windows service, you will need to reconfigure which installation gets started by by the service.  (I find it easier to not configure Windchill as a service until I'm done jumping back and forth between the different versions.)

4.)  Windchill needs to talk to a database.  You can configure each of these separate Windchill installations to talk to the same database instance, or you can configure each one to talk to its own separate instance.  If they are all talking to the same database and same instance, you will need to back up and restore the database depending on which Windchill installation (version) you want to run at that moment.

5.)  Windchill 11 stores a bunch of stuff in the local LDAP (Windchill DS).  During the upgrade process, a bunch of information is going to get moved from Windchill DS into JSON files and the database.  Since you will probably be running this upgrade process multiple times for practice, it's important that you have backup of the LDAP before you attempt the upgrade so you can roll it back to the starting condition for subsequent upgrade tests.

6.)  You can continue to use the existing Windchill DS installation for the Windchill 12 LDAP connection.  You don't need a separate LDAP installation.  Just make sure you back up everything.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

I hope you have a set of test servers to practice the upgrade on before doing a production server.

We always use a different set of servers for our upgrades. I have 2 sets, one for testing the upgrade procedure with and then the production one. When it is upgrade time, I have a third set of virtual servers built. 1 server set is my current production set, 1 server set is for test/development of the upgrade and then I have the actual new version production servers set.

What is your LDAP? 11.0 used WindchillDS, 12.1 uses your corporate LDAP or WindchillDS 11.2.

You may see both versions, depending on the folder you install Windchill to, but only the latest version may run.

Always do a test upgrade and create your own upgrade guide. Mine is 8 pages long of the steps to get the process to the point of running UpgradeManager. My UpgradeManager documentation is about 22 pages. My build a new system guide is about 28 pages.

SrikanthM
5-Regular Member
(To:BenLoosli)

Thanks for the update.

my server is archived server that no one uses and I would like to use my corporate LDAP but with 11.0 we have used both Windchill DS and corporate LDAP.

SrikanthM
5-Regular Member

So Should I install 12.1 first and then run the upgrade Manager or

I will have to run the upgrade Manager directly since this is an in-place upgrade?

Upgrading in place is generally only done if one only has one production-level server.  Potentially has a lot of risk.

At a minimum, this is recommended:

- rehost production to any other available server, even if it's very slow.

- rehearse the in-place upgrade on that server until all is working perfectly.

- then do the in-place upgrade on production.

SrikanthM
5-Regular Member
(To:MikeLockwood)

This is system that is actually not being used. I am using this for my practice.

So Should I install 12.1 first and then run the upgrade Manager or

I will have to run the upgrade Manager directly since this is an in-place upgrade?

Got it

- Existing system functional (source)

- Also install new in parallel (target); can be confusing depending on how each of these interacts with a database

- Target has to be functional also, independent of source (with source not running)

- Run upgrade manager

SrikanthM
5-Regular Member

thank you!

there is no import/export are needed since this is in-place activity.

I would like to understand how should I give the database details of the same that has been interacting with source(11.0).

Should the upgrade manager run from windchill shell. or there is any file that has to be run manually?

There still is export and import of the database (and depending on the situation, some form of LDAP).

The terms Source and Target apply whether they are on the same machine or other machine.

There are two separate databases, which may be on the same machine or not.

Have to look carefully at the various diagrams on this.

Years ago I set up two laptops with minimal Windchill installs / data and exercised this about two dozen times - lots of confusing factors.

SrikanthM
5-Regular Member

In my case, the Database is also on same server. would like to use the same database for the upgraded version too.

Since the LDAP and database are on same server, there is no need for export/import, I guess.

but my question is:- Should I create another user on database to connect with 12.1 during , PSI configuration.??

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

You will have a database export/import, especially if on Oracle.

Windchill 11,0 uses Oracle 12c, Windchill 12.1 will use Oracle 18 or 19.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Let's get some additional information.

What OS are you running?

What database software are you running?

Are you running 2 servers (database on one, Windchill on the other) or a single server?

Check the PTC pages for software matricies to see where you need to upgrade. OS will most likely need to be different, database will be different, etc.

SrikanthM
5-Regular Member

I am running Windows 2016-- Compatible with Windchill 11.0 and Windchill 12.1

I am running data base-Oracle 12c.

I am running both on same server.

So Windchill 12.1 may need Oracle 19c.

I have referred the release matrix .

Hello @SrikanthM 

I would advice to install WindchillDS even you use only corporate LDAP (Windchill 12.1 can be used without WindchillDS).

I found that it is very complicated to Rehost - clone/move/rename server by Rehost Utility if Windchill DS is not install. 

PetrH

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I'm going to chime in with a few comments.

1.)  There's really no such thing as an 'in place upgrade'.  The Windchill application has to be installed in it's own new folder.  This new installation will be completely separate from the previous installation, even if located on the same physical server.  It's not possible to update the files in the existing Windchill folder during an 'upgrade'.  The only times the existing installation (in the same folder) can be updated is during a critical patch install or during a maintenance release install.

2.)  'Upgrading' Windchill really means to install a brand new clean Windchill system (and empty database), then overwrite that new database with the one from your old system, and finally run the 'upgrade manager' process to update this old database to work with the new Windchill system.

3.)  It is possible to install many different versions of Windchill, or even multiple copies of the same Windchill version, on the same server at the same time, but only one of them can actually be running at a time.  If you configure Windchill to run as a Windows service, you will need to reconfigure which installation gets started by by the service.  (I find it easier to not configure Windchill as a service until I'm done jumping back and forth between the different versions.)

4.)  Windchill needs to talk to a database.  You can configure each of these separate Windchill installations to talk to the same database instance, or you can configure each one to talk to its own separate instance.  If they are all talking to the same database and same instance, you will need to back up and restore the database depending on which Windchill installation (version) you want to run at that moment.

5.)  Windchill 11 stores a bunch of stuff in the local LDAP (Windchill DS).  During the upgrade process, a bunch of information is going to get moved from Windchill DS into JSON files and the database.  Since you will probably be running this upgrade process multiple times for practice, it's important that you have backup of the LDAP before you attempt the upgrade so you can roll it back to the starting condition for subsequent upgrade tests.

6.)  You can continue to use the existing Windchill DS installation for the Windchill 12 LDAP connection.  You don't need a separate LDAP installation.  Just make sure you back up everything.

SrikanthM
5-Regular Member
(To:TomU)

WoW! What a mesmerizing explanation, I am really impressed and delighted . Thanks a tonne.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

You will find that Mike, Tom and I have many battle scars from doing Windchill installs, configurations, updates, upgrades and rehosts.

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

@TomU wrote:

Actually for my "Upgrades" I install new version using new database (only used for installation) and then point the Upgrade Manager to the source database. The installation database can be "tossed" when done. No export/import ever involved.

SrikanthM
5-Regular Member
(To:RandyJones)

But IN my case, the source windchill 11.0 supports Oracle 12c and target 12.0 supports 19c. So I may have to upgrade the database first and then the windchill?

According to documentation, Windchill 11.0 M030 supports Oracle 19c starting from CPS-19. So, if you haven't already, you could apply CPS-19 (or later) first, then update Oracle to 19c, and then go with the Windchill upgrade. If you're running Windchill version that supports any given database version, I don't think you need to do anything on Windchill side after database upgrade, Windchill should pick it up and connect to it without any problems.

SrikanthM
5-Regular Member
(To:LukaszMazur)

Yes. I have applied CPS22 on Source already and now I am working with my IT team to upgrade to Oracle 19c then I will upgrade windchill.

please correct me if it is otherwise.

No, it's OK.

I prefer to first upgrade Oracle and then proceed with Windchill upgrade, because if you do it one step at the time, it's easier to find the stage when something went wrong, e.g. if something would go wrong with Oracle upgrade, you'll know it, because existing Windchill instance will have problems. If you'd do it at the same time (Oracle and Windchill), you can't be sure where is the fault.

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

@SrikanthM wrote:

But IN my case, the source windchill 11.0 supports Oracle 12c and target 12.0 supports 19c. So I may have to upgrade the database first and then the windchill?

That is correct. Or do as  LukaszMazur  suggested and update your source Windchill to cps19 or later and then update oracle before you upgrade Windchill.

ascorupco
7-Bedrock

Wow, great summary which all sys admins should have in mind. I wish PTC support could create something like that. To be honest I gave up opening tickets as it takes months to get ONE meaningful sentence from PTC support.

MaxR
10-Marble

Lots of good input from some of the best in the business. PTC tech support also has a tremendous amount of very well organized info on this topic.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

One of the things we all forgot to have you check is the upgrade matrix.

You can NOT go from Windchill 11.0 or 11.1 directly to 12.1!

Article - CS103572 - The supported Update/Upgrade path in Windchill PDMLink (ptc.com)

Top Tags