cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

What is Difference between part and part master ?

saitha
1-Newbie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Sandeep,

In windchill a Part Master is the reference point for the revisioned Part.

• For example: When we make a part examplePart a Part Master is persisted in the database(WTPart Master table) for the non-version specific part. As well as the version specific (a.1, 1.2, ect.) Part in the database (WTPart table).

The Part contains version specific information, whereas the Part Master contains the information shared among all the revisions.

• Another example:examplePart 1.1, examplePart 1.2, & examplePart 2.1 are all examples of different Parts although they all share the same examplePart Part Master.

If you are referring to Master Rep Vs Default Rep This may help with that:

• The Master Rep CANNOT be edited to add and/or remove the components/features. It contain all the components and features
  • The Default Rep CAN be edited to add and/or remove the components/features. It is not necessary that Default Rep will contain all the components and features
  • By default, Master Rep will be opened when retrieving the model. However it can be control by config.pro option open_simplified_rep_by_default
  • Refer: To open a specific simplified rep rather than master rep of an assembly

If anything is unclear about this feel free to ask some follow up questions as I am sure others may feel the same.

Thanks,

Jarrett

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LLawton
14-Alexandrite
(To:saitha)

There are no "parts" and "part masters" in Integrity's standard solutions.

Are you referring to a custom solution or a different PTC product?

Hi Sandeep,

In windchill a Part Master is the reference point for the revisioned Part.

• For example: When we make a part examplePart a Part Master is persisted in the database(WTPart Master table) for the non-version specific part. As well as the version specific (a.1, 1.2, ect.) Part in the database (WTPart table).

The Part contains version specific information, whereas the Part Master contains the information shared among all the revisions.

• Another example:examplePart 1.1, examplePart 1.2, & examplePart 2.1 are all examples of different Parts although they all share the same examplePart Part Master.

If you are referring to Master Rep Vs Default Rep This may help with that:

• The Master Rep CANNOT be edited to add and/or remove the components/features. It contain all the components and features
  • The Default Rep CAN be edited to add and/or remove the components/features. It is not necessary that Default Rep will contain all the components and features
  • By default, Master Rep will be opened when retrieving the model. However it can be control by config.pro option open_simplified_rep_by_default
  • Refer: To open a specific simplified rep rather than master rep of an assembly

If anything is unclear about this feel free to ask some follow up questions as I am sure others may feel the same.

Thanks,

Jarrett

Hi Jarrett Colin,

Thank you so much for answering.I am new this windchill.Recently i have been started working on this windchill java api.i have very basic knowledge.Can u please help how to learn this windchill.is there any documention is avilable for how to use this java api,Means Like how to update the attributes and set the values,get the values,retriving sing java api.

Can u please help me out

Thanks,

Sandeep

LLawton
14-Alexandrite
(To:saitha)

Sandeep, this is a discussion board for the product called "Integrity". You need to switch to the "Windchill" discussion.

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:LLawton)

This thread has been moved from the Integrity Community to the Windchill Community.

Regards,

Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager
Top Tags