cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

What is the Difference between New Downstream Branch and New Downstream Part in BOM Transformer?

TT_9345405
10-Marble

What is the Difference between New Downstream Branch and New Downstream Part in BOM Transformer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @TT_9345405 

The New Downstream branch creates just a new View of WTPart with same number. You can find it in the History Tab.

The New Downstream WTPart creates a new manufacturing WTPart with new Number which is different from the design view. You can not see it in the History Tab. 

It means that you can link Design view part Number with different Manufacturing Part Number.

Hope this answer your question

PetrH  

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hi @TT_9345405 

The New Downstream branch creates just a new View of WTPart with same number. You can find it in the History Tab.

The New Downstream WTPart creates a new manufacturing WTPart with new Number which is different from the design view. You can not see it in the History Tab. 

It means that you can link Design view part Number with different Manufacturing Part Number.

Hope this answer your question

PetrH  

Hello @HelesicPetr

Do you know if this means that the only difference between a New view variant and a New Downstream branch is the creation of the equivalence links?

Katrine

Hi @KNielsen 

Yes. That is the difference.

There is another one. 

Generally you need additional license for BOM Transformation to create Equivalence link.

You can create New View just in the PDMLink. New Downstream Branch can be created in the MPMLink(BOM Transformer(known as MAPSB)).

I hope that I'm right 😄

PetrH 

Thank you!

Do you know, if you can use process plan for veiw versions? 

/Katrine

Hi @KNielsen 

Process plan can be used without BOM transformation. 

So Yes.

Also you can directly use Design view in ProcessPlan if tranformation is not needed.

PetrH

From what I understand, a new view is just like another revision of the same Part Master, but like a branch revision. So when you use any APi or report that find "latest" if there was a Manufacturing View created after the Design View then the Manufacturing view is considered the latest version under the Part Master. When you create a new Downstream Part it is a new version of a new Master, with version to version links between the Manufacturing view Part and the Design View Part. This is my understanding, please correct me if I am wrong, everyday is a school day.

Hi @khimani_mohiki 

Correct. You described same thing with different words. 

btw if you try to get the latest part version the latest is usually return by Last modified date and time.

So if a Design view is modified after the Manufacturing view the Design view is returned by API

(sometimes it is good to know)

PetrH

ckiley
4-Participant
(To:HelesicPetr)

Has anyone had success maintaining a 1  1 situation as you described? When we try to do this, say a new part that's suffixed for manufacturing purposes and link it to the base design view, We set the Design 1 equal to Manufacturing 1A but it continuously links back to the base manufacturing view and ignores the suffixed one when a new downstream branch is performed on a new parent it is to be consumed within.

Top Tags