cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

What is the difference between WINDU and WINRU ? Is it mandatory to run WINDU/WINRU before an upgrade ?

aachanta
13-Aquamarine

What is the difference between WINDU and WINRU ? Is it mandatory to run WINDU/WINRU before an upgrade ?

Hi all,

What is the difference between WINDU and WINRU ?

Is running WINDU /WINRU before an Upgrade a mandatory task ? Or cant we do upgrade even without running WINDU and WINRU ? Can you please let me know ?

And considering an upgrade from 9.1 to 10.2 and from 10.1 to 10.2 system. Which upgrade is going to be relatively more easier ?  Can you please let me know ?

Thanks and Regards,

Aditya Achanta

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:aachanta)

WINDU will analysis the database for a number of items that PTC feels could cause issues when doing an upgrade or just running. The list of checks is too long to elaborate here. I would suggest that you just run WINDU with the all option and see what the results look like. I run mine every 2-4 months just to be sure there is nothing headed in the wrong direction with the DB.

WINRU will automate the repair of certain problems identified by WINDU. It is recommended that you consult with PTC tech support before running WINRU.

The upgrade checks MUST be run before doing an upgrade and all errors MUST be corrected, warnings should also be corrected. There are some warnings/errors that you can actually ignore as the table in the DB is no longer used.

9.1 to 10.1 or 10.2 or even 11, will be about the same level of complexity. When I went from 9.1 to 10, I had to deal with new hardware as 9.1 was on 32-bit machines. I migrated the 9.1 Oracle to a new 64-bit server a few months before the 10.0 upgrade. The users noticed the improved performance immediately!

Your company needs to decide which upgrade path makes the most sense for you. I had planned on going from 10.0 to 10.2 but got delayed so I am now planning on a 11m010 upgrade for later this year.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Aditya,

Below article explains in detail about WinDU and WinRU.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS230055&art_lang=en&posno=1&q=Windu%20and%20WinRU&source=searc…

Yes, you have to execute pre-upgrade Mandatory WinDU tasks and fix if any issues reported. It's not necessarily required to run WinRU task, you have to run it when a WinDU task log file indicate to run a specific WinRU task.

Both are easier, but it depends based on the issues we face during the Upgrade process.

aachanta
13-Aquamarine
(To:bkontham)

Hi Bhagirath,

I had already seen that case.

Like it says that WINDU is being run to check the health of Windchill Database. Can you please elaborate like what health is actually like ? What is its actually checking in the DB ?

And WINRU also like in case if there are any errors or bugs reported in WINDU; the database will be modified accordingly. Can you please let me know like what modifications does it do ?

Can you give me one scenario or an example where what health checking in WINDU is like and what modifications in WINRU it does ? Any example ?

Thanks and Regards,

Aditya Achanta

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:aachanta)

WINDU will analysis the database for a number of items that PTC feels could cause issues when doing an upgrade or just running. The list of checks is too long to elaborate here. I would suggest that you just run WINDU with the all option and see what the results look like. I run mine every 2-4 months just to be sure there is nothing headed in the wrong direction with the DB.

WINRU will automate the repair of certain problems identified by WINDU. It is recommended that you consult with PTC tech support before running WINRU.

The upgrade checks MUST be run before doing an upgrade and all errors MUST be corrected, warnings should also be corrected. There are some warnings/errors that you can actually ignore as the table in the DB is no longer used.

9.1 to 10.1 or 10.2 or even 11, will be about the same level of complexity. When I went from 9.1 to 10, I had to deal with new hardware as 9.1 was on 32-bit machines. I migrated the 9.1 Oracle to a new 64-bit server a few months before the 10.0 upgrade. The users noticed the improved performance immediately!

Your company needs to decide which upgrade path makes the most sense for you. I had planned on going from 10.0 to 10.2 but got delayed so I am now planning on a 11m010 upgrade for later this year.

Top Tags