cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Where to learn about Windows scripting?

mdebower
18-Opal

Where to learn about Windows scripting?

I need to manipulate about 9000 files, rename, find the latest version of each, etc, before I import into Windchill, I need more knowledge on Windows scripting and commands first though, anybody have any recommendations on where to go to learn Windows script programming?

-marc

Trimark Values: Integrity Respect Accountability Innovative Teamwork

11 REPLIES 11

I use this place a lot:

Hi Marc.

Windows has a few options for scripting. You can use the PowerShell but that is likely to change and become incompatible with future releases of Windows. Then you have to learn a new language and adapt all your scripts.

I recommend you invest your time into learning a language that will resist time. Perl is available on Windows and is pretty good with manipulating strings and files. Another good option is to install Cygwin on your Windows box. At that point, you get access to all the power of Unix with bash scripting, awk, sed and all the great Unix tools. These tools will also resist time.

Unix rules!

UNIX?!? What is that? (:

-marc

A faded memory of a true and trusted friend. One that was reliable. One that didn't make you blue. One that didn't spread viruses amongst friends. A worker that didn't complain. 🙂

Brian Toussaint
Systems Administrator

Hoshizaki America, Inc.
"A Superior Degree Of Reliability"
618 Hwy. 74 S., Peachtree City, GA 30269
mlocascio
4-Participant
(To:mdebower)

Yeah, I would imagine that there are people out there who don't remember
UNIX.

#cat > /dev/null
awk, what he sed
^C
#

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:mdebower)

And some out there who are glad they can't remember it!

What? I remember the fun of searching for core dump files…

Back to answer the original question. I suggest this out of print book.

Windows NT Shell Scripting by Tim Hill.

Many available on Amazon.

By the way, the web site listed in the book with the example script, it defunct. You can find the examples here as a zip file:

I'd lean towards AutoIt rather than scripting. It is a more straightforward programming language that has features dedicated to automating operation of Windows. It can be used to coordinate the operation of multiple applications that weren't designed to work together.

x

Top Tags