cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Why Apache and Tomcat are two different for Windhill 9.0?

vpadhiyar
1-Newbie

Why Apache and Tomcat are two different for Windhill 9.0?

Hi Experts,

Why Apache and Tomcat are two different for Windhill 9.0? What is its significance?

Thanks - Vasant

5 REPLIES 5

PTC changed the architecture of Windchill starting 10.0,  moved the external tomcat to an in-process embedded tomcat within method server. In pre- windchill 10 releases, if you had multiple method servers, one tomcat process handled the traffic to multiple method servers. Now each of the method servers has its own embedded tomcat.

Thank you

Binesh

Thank You Binesh..

Actually I am new to Windchill PLM and sorry to ask such silly questions.

And just for my curiosity i want to know some basic things about Windchill PDMLInk 9.0 like:

• What is the significance of Server Manager? And How we can manage Windchill server using it?
  • What is significance of Method Server? Is it managing the load on server? Can we have multiple Method Server for a Server Manager?

Also I want to know the basic architecture and data model of WIndchill? How it works? What is the sequence? and Who is responding whom?

Can you please help me to understand it.

Thanks - Vasant

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:vpadhiyar)

If you are trying to understand Windchill and its architecture, take a training class.

One Server Manager controls multiple Method Servers.

Method Servers are the communication mechanism between the users and Windchill.

The Server Manager process is used to manage the Method Server processes. The Server Manager starts the configured number of Method Servers, and then monitors those processes. If it finds one of the Method Server processes has crashed, then it will launch a new one to replace it. Though, the main purpose of the Server Manager is to provide cache synchronization between Method Servers. Method Servers retain numerous in memory caches for performance reasons. The Server Manager will maintain the master copy of these caches. Anytime a Method Server process adds or removes a cache entry, the server manager will synchronize this change with all the other Method Server Processes.

The Method Server is the main Windchill process. This is what processes all user requests, and where most of the Windchill code will execute. You can definitely run multiple Method Server processes, in which case Tomcat will load balance incoming user requests between all of the available Method Server processes. Though, if you are running multiple Method Servers, then you will also need to run a Background Method Server process. The Background Method Server only processes the background queues used in Windchill, and does not handle any user requests.

Thanks a lot Chris Spartz..

It will be helpful for me to do more...

Top Tags