cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill 10.2 HTTP Server will not start.

SteveLundy
3-Visitor

Windchill 10.2 HTTP Server will not start.

Ok, I was here a few weeks ago with a problem with Windchill 10.2, and how it couldn't get it properly installed. I managed to get through that, get it installed and get it up and working.

Today, I went back to the Windchill server I built and noticed that it was not running. So I went through my startup process to get it running, and I noticed that for some reason my HTTP server will not start up with the rest of Windchill. The directory server Control Panel states that HTTP is Disabled.

WindchillDS_NoHTTP.PNG

I have no idea what happened to this or why it isn't now working. I've skimmed though various log files and error files, but I haven't seen anything that looks like an error.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Steve

3 REPLIES 3

Okay, I found another thread that pretty much described my problem to a "T". The answer there was to run the following command:

"ant -f config.xml installService" from the <Windchill root folder>\HTTPServer

the first time I got "ant" is not recognized as an internal or external command....

Figuring this was a path problem I executed the following command:

<Windchill root folder>\Windchill\ant\bin\ant -f config.xml installService from the same directory as above

The script started off with an error "Unable to locate tools.jar. Expected to find it in C:\Program File\Java\jre7\lib\tools.jar

but other than that the script seemed to run to a successful conclusion:

BUILD SUCCESSFUL

Total time: 6 seconds

Unfortunately, that didn't seem to solve my problem. It didn't start up the HTTP server, and when I tried restarting the Windchill directory Server via the Control Panel, the HTTP server still did not come up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Are you running these commands from a windchill shell? You should have them in the path. I have <Windchill>/bin; <Windchill>/ant/bin; <JAVA_HOME>/jre/bin; <JAVA_HOME>/bin; at the start of the path in a windchill shell. In my wt.properties I have "wt.env.JAVA_HOME=$(wt.jdk)" and "wt.jdk=<my java install dir>"

jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:SteveLundy)

You seem to have some basic confusion here.

The WindchillDS control panel has nothing to do with running the web (i.e. HTTP) server for Windchill. I don't actually know what WindchillDS might use HTTP for itself, but it is not to server Windchill content via HTTP, i.e. it never serves as "the web server" for Windchill.

WindchillDS is an LDAP server it serves to store/provide user, group, and credential information and some Info*Engine configuration information for Windchill. Customers are free to use additional LDAP directories as well, but WindchillDS is generally still used to contain all Windchill-specific groups, since Windchill usually does not have write access to corporate LDAP directories.

As for starting HTTPServer (Windchill's bundled Apache web server), that's done the same way as for all previous versions of Windchill or for Apache on Windows in general (apart from the Ant wrapper for service installation). In particular, I'd verify that the server will start by running HTTPServer/bin/httpd.exe (either directly or via the shortcut in the Start Menu Programs folder created during Windchill installation) -- without the service running. If that doesn't work, the service won't either. If that does work and you want to run as a Windows service, then fine -- install the service and then start it. Installing the service doesn't immediately start it. The starting and stopping of this service works the same as with any other Windows service.

As Patrick noted, running Ant has certain pre-requisites in terms of environment variables. If you're running Ant on another machine than Windchill (e.g. configuring HTTPServer on a remote machine), you have to deal with these directly. If, however, you're running Ant on the same machine as Windchill (and from an account that has access to the Windchill files), then it's easiest to run Ant from a Windchill shell. The easiest way to get a Windchill shell is from the shortcut provided in the Start Menu Programs folder for Windchill.

Top Tags