cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Windchill 12.1 Upgrade - Database Import

MB_10389467
5-Regular Member

Windchill 12.1 Upgrade - Database Import

I am in the process of upgrading from 12.0 to 12.1. I've done everything to install the target windchill system, including deploying customizations, running the custom column length command, and running the addcolumns tool. Our source database runs under schema user "WFUSER" and our target database was installed (on a separate host) under "WVUSER." I tried following the steps for importing to a different target schema username, but we keep running into issues with data being skipped. Can anyone help outline what the proper steps are here? Do I need to drop the "WVUSER" schema on the target (even though that's where our target application is installed to) and recreate using the <WT_HOME>/db/sql/create_user.sql? Should I be importing the source to the target under username "WFUSER" and do I need to use the create_user.sql script prior to doing that? The upgrade guides are extremely confusing to me on this subject. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DaveBfoot
5-Regular Member
(To:MB_10389467)

I've found I had to drop the target user & recreate it first before importing the source DB to avoid issues.

We use the same schema username as PTC recomend which makes it's a bit easier. If you are changing it, there are extra steps to do as part of the import.

See here: Importing a Windchill Oracle Dump Using Data Pump (ptc.com)

The details to use in the "Gather System Properties" database page are the target DB username & password i.e. the dropped & recreated one. Or in your case WVUSER, providing you imported the DB using 'remap_schema=<sourcedb_username>:<targetdb_username>'  as per the details in the link above.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomU
23-Emerald IV

The new database created for the installation of 12.1 is completely discarded and overwritten by the 12.0 database.  Nothing you did to the 12.1 database will be kept.  Just export the 12.0 database and import it as the new 12.1 database.  Keep the schema, username, password, etc. as they were on the 12.0 system.  The upgrade manager will give you a place to enter the new schema name and credentials necessary to access the now overwritten database.

MB_10389467
5-Regular Member
(To:TomU)

Thanks for the quick response. Just so I'm clear - even though I used a new schema user "WVUSER" for our target installation, I should import the 12.0 database with all source information for "WFUSER" to the target database, and the upgrade manager will prompt me for the "WVUSER" information as some point? Or is "WVUSER" essentially being discarded? 

Is the "source database" in the "Gather System Properties" upgrade manager step meant to be the actual source database (hosting "WFUSER" in my instance) or the newly imported source database? 

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Just so I'm clear - even though I used a new schema user "WVUSER" for our target installation, I should import the 12.0 database with all source information for "WFUSER" to the target database, and the upgrade manager will prompt me for the "WVUSER" information as some point? Or is "WVUSER" essentially being discarded? 

WVUSER will be discarded.  Only WFUSER will be kept.  You will end up with two copies of it - one running the old system and one that will be upgraded to work with the new system.

Is the "source database" in the "Gather System Properties" upgrade manager step meant to be the actual source database (hosting "WFUSER" in my instance) or the newly imported source database? 

It is referring to the copy of the original database that is now running on the new database server.  Right on the top of the 'Gather System Properties' page, "The database to be upgraded is referred to as the source database.  You have already staged the source database."  (Staged here meaning you have copied it somewhere that the new system can access and alter without touching the original database still in use by the old system.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Windchill upgrade big picture:

1. Install new Windchill system.
  2. Overwrite the new database with copy from the old system.
  3. Overwrite the new LDAP with a copy of the old one (if using OpenDJ, WindchillDS, etc.)
  4. Run the upgrade manager.
  5. Repeat steps 2 - 4 over and over again until you're happy with everything.

DaveBfoot
5-Regular Member

I've found I had to drop the target user & recreate it first before importing the source DB to avoid issues.

We use the same schema username as PTC recomend which makes it's a bit easier. If you are changing it, there are extra steps to do as part of the import.

See here: Importing a Windchill Oracle Dump Using Data Pump (ptc.com)

The details to use in the "Gather System Properties" database page are the target DB username & password i.e. the dropped & recreated one. Or in your case WVUSER, providing you imported the DB using 'remap_schema=<sourcedb_username>:<targetdb_username>'  as per the details in the link above.

Top Tags