cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Windchill Associations whats the difference between "Builds Structure" and "Contributes Structure"

Leon_Dietz
4-Participant

Windchill Associations whats the difference between "Builds Structure" and "Contributes Structure"

Capturerer.PNG

I have this Table, where the different Associations are explained and I understand everything except for the "Builds Structure" and "Contributes Structure".

For me they do the same thing, if someone could elaborate and explain to me the difference I would really appreciate it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi all

it is not so simple to understand but if you get it then it is easy 😄

ASM models connected by an Owner link create a structure so it is important for assemblies (build structure)

If the asm model has image link to wtpart, structure is not build from that asm model

The most important is that prt Model connected with image link can be part of the assembly model and that model is part of the build process in WTPart structure.

So you can have two assemblies with two different part Models(flat, flexible), but WTPart structure will be with only one WTPart because both prt models are connected with WTPart by one owner and one image link. 

is it understandable?

PetrH

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Contributes to the upper structure, its where used. So if a CAD model is used in an assembly and it has a WTPart that is one of those first 3, that WTPart will appear on that assembly's WTPart structure.

I haven't fully understood this either.. but let me see if I get it from @avillanueva 's explanation:

Say you have Asm1.asm linked to part Asm as Owner and Asm2.asm linked to the same part as Image

• Asm1.asm -> Asm (Owner)
  • Asm2.asm -> Asm (Image)

The BOM structure for Asm is determined by Asm1.asm, since the Owner link builds the structure.

If you use Asm1.asm OR Asm2.asm in a higher level assembly, that assembly will show that it uses part Asm, since they both Contribute to structures.

Hi all

it is not so simple to understand but if you get it then it is easy 😄

ASM models connected by an Owner link create a structure so it is important for assemblies (build structure)

If the asm model has image link to wtpart, structure is not build from that asm model

The most important is that prt Model connected with image link can be part of the assembly model and that model is part of the build process in WTPart structure.

So you can have two assemblies with two different part Models(flat, flexible), but WTPart structure will be with only one WTPart because both prt models are connected with WTPart by one owner and one image link. 

is it understandable?

PetrH

Top Tags