cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill - EPM Document Master object is not unique ??

Bob1
1-Newbie

Windchill - EPM Document Master object is not unique ??

Hello. We have just moved from Intralink 3.4 to Windchill 10.0. We did this yesterday. As expected, we are encountering some bumps in the road. Most of our issues are because we are all learning a new system. Overall, the system seems to be working the way it should, and we are just experiencing problems because we don't know what we're doing.

But we have one problem that we can't seem to overcome. More than once, we've gotten errors when trying to upload a new object. Here are the steps taken leading up to this:

We create a new .prt which has an associated .drw. We are able to upload the .prt but are unable to upload the .drw file. There is an error message saying "Upload failed. See event manager for details." Okay, so checking the event manager, I see that the error says "EPM Document Master - xxxxx.drw is not unique". It sounds as though it thinks that an object with this name already exists in the database. But that is definitely not the case. I have searched, and there is nothing with this name. The part number also includes a job number that is unique within our company, so I just know that there's nothing with this part number in the database already. And it hasn't happened with one isolated item. It has happened three times already in two days. In all cases, we are able to upload the .prt file but got this error with the .drw file.

Does anybody have any idea what this error means or how we can get past it? We are a day and a half into our Windchill life, and other than this, things are going fairly smoothly. But not being able to check in new drawings is a big deal!! Help!!

Thanks...

-Bob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bob1
1-Newbie
(To:Bob1)

That wasn't the problem, but thanks for answering. It turns out that it was a Windchill prference to drop the file extension, thus making the Number non-unique. Changing the preference fixed the problem. Thanks...

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Bob1
1-Newbie

Replying to my own post...

This seems to be because the .drw and the .prt have the same name (minus the extension, of course). If I create the drawing while giving a different name, then it uploads just fine. Actually, it seems to be the "Number" column that is having a conflict. Before Windchill, we never used "Number". Apparently Windchill is trying to auto-assign the same "Number" to both the part and the drawing. Does anybody know of any way to keep that from happening? Thanks again...

-Bob

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Don't fill in .PRT or .DRW - system fills those in automatically.

Bob,

we also ran into this issue when we first started using Windchill. Changing those preferences to "No" does the trick when you're uploading a part and drawing with the same name.

However, lets say I create a part and a drawing, named 0001.prt and 0002.drw. I upload both and check them into Windchill. If I want to go back and rename the drawing to match the part (i.e. rename the drawing to 0001.drw), I get the above error message "EPM Document Master - xxxxx.drw is not unique".

Any ideas why Windchill does not allow this?

Andri

As a reply to my own question, here is what I figured out:

Once an object is checked in, you can no longer rename it in the workspace. So, to get this to work, I had to log into Windchill as the orgadmin and do a rename on the drawing. I also needed to add the file extension .drw to each of the three entry fields (Name, Number and File Name).

Andri

Bob1
1-Newbie

That wasn't the problem, but thanks for answering. It turns out that it was a Windchill prference to drop the file extension, thus making the Number non-unique. Changing the preference fixed the problem. Thanks...

Hey Bob,

Is this the preference your talking about:

Name :

Auto Associate Truncate Name File Extension

?????

Buddy-

Yeah, I believe that was it. I think there was also one for Number in addition to Name. We now have both of those set to 'No', and we haven't had any more issues...

Cool thanks Bob!

Hi Bryant,

How or where are the preferences section, I need to solve the problem "master document object is not unique......"

Many thanks in advance.

Regards.

Guillermo --

From the Preference Management utility at the Org or Site level:

Operation > Auto Associate > Auto Associate Truncate Name File Extension

Operation > Auto Associate > Auto Associate Truncate Number File Extension

You might also check these (can be set at user level or higher)

Operation > Upload Operation > Upload > Upload Drop Name File Extenstion

Operation > Upload Operation > Upload > Upload Drop Number File Extenstion

Top Tags