cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill Email without authentication?

mhallenborg
1-Newbie

Windchill Email without authentication?

Is it possible to setup the wt.mail.mailhost without any password?

And how is that accomplished?

I tried to reset the wt.mail.smtp.username and wt.mail.smtp.password

But no mail is coming out of the system.

I tried to look in the logs but I couldn't find any attempts to email.

I looked in root/logs/ (should I look somewhere else?)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I think you can directly add SMTP username and password in wt.properties as well, but I am not sure. This file is usually kept in WT_Home outside codebase.

Yes, you can directly edit mbean files. But preferred method would be to edit it from jconsole. You can launch Jconsole using windchill  wt.util.jmx.SMJConsole from Windchill shell to launch Jconsole. Navigate to mbeans > com.ptc and look for email settings. Once you are done go to loader and save it

Thank you

Binesh Kumar

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

You can configure your SMTP relay to send emails anonymously -  the unauthenticated SMTP connections coming from applications and devices on your network -.We had similar configuration in one of the companies I have worked with where the extended rights - ms-Exch-SMTP-Accept-Authoritative-Domain-Sender was set on the exchange server.

Once you have this set just remove the mail.properties file and its reference from the wt.properties(site.xconf) - assuming that wt.mail.smtp.username and wt.mail.smtp.password are defined in mail.properties.

You can use email this page from quick links to send email to one of the recipients. This will trigger an email. Watch for the email related entries in background method server log and you should find errors as well there.

Additionally you can set the loggers log4j.logger.wt.mail.message=DEBUG in Windchill\codebase\WEB-INF\log4jMethodServer.properties and wt.mail.verboseTransport=true in wt.properties

Thank you

Binesh Kumar

According to my logs, Windchill tries to connect to the server that I specified during the initial setup, which is incorrect.

I changed the server wt.mail.mailhost with xconfmanager, but still, windchill is using the incorrect mailserver.

My solution is to map the old server with the new servers IP in the hosts file.

The mailserver is now working with no authentication.

But, my conclusion is that the mailserver specified during the initial setup must be listed in another config file, which one?

I do not have a mail.properties file in my system. Is that file included in a default Windchill installation?

Did you restart Windchill after you changed the wt.mail.mailhost? It is worth verifying the wt.properties to ensure the hostname has been changed before you restart.

The only other place in windchill where you will have mail host will be your JMX. Verify the Mailserver tag in and ensure that server name is changed.

1. $WT_HOME\codebase\WEB-INF\methodServerMBeanConfig.xml
  2. $WT_HOME\codebase\WEB-INF\serverManagerMBeanConfig.xml

If you don't have authentication, then mail.properties is not required and will not be created by PSI

Thank you

Binesh Kumar

Not sure if I restarted, maybe that's why.

Ok. but I had authentication in my initial setup and the file was not created...

Anyway, it works now and I can live with the hosts mapping. I will try to remove it later and see what happens.

Is it safe to edit these two files directly and then restart to make changes?

Both files contains an incorrect email address.

But I couldn't find any mailhost in those two files.

Thank you so much!

I think you can directly add SMTP username and password in wt.properties as well, but I am not sure. This file is usually kept in WT_Home outside codebase.

Yes, you can directly edit mbean files. But preferred method would be to edit it from jconsole. You can launch Jconsole using windchill  wt.util.jmx.SMJConsole from Windchill shell to launch Jconsole. Navigate to mbeans > com.ptc and look for email settings. Once you are done go to loader and save it

Thank you

Binesh Kumar

Top Tags