cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill Instance split

saravkm
7-Bedrock

Windchill Instance split

Hello,

Is there standard procedure or tool to split single instance of Windchill to 2 instance of Windchill?

One firm going to split 2 firms. They want to split their data.

There were multiple ways I think we can split data into 2 Windchill instance. I am curious to know if there are any procedure/tool already available to do that from PTC.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:saravkm)

I do not think there is a tool to do what you want. PTC is only interested in you putting your data into Windchill, not take it out (or split it up).

You will need to decide how much of the data is common. Depending on that percentage, you have options.

1) Clone your windchill onto new servers for the split off company. Downside is they have all the data and so do you. Windchill is not nice about deleteing data.

2) Load all the files into Creo, back them up to a local disk and import them into the new Windchill instance. One company still has all the data, the other only what is backed up. To extend this, both companies do the backup and import into new windchills.

Or there is the Windchill Bulk Migrator where you can pull data out of a Windchill an import it into another Windchill.

dharlan-2
4-Participant
(To:saravkm)

As mentioned. It depends...

You can clone, use the bulk migrator, use export/import, or add to workspace/import to workspace.

How interrelated is the data? How are dependencies to common (fastners etc) going to be handled? How are dependencies to proprietary data going to be handled? Promotion requests and change objects? Non-CAD data?...

Top Tags