cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Windchill Licensing

CJGreen
1-Newbie

Windchill Licensing

I'm just trying to figure out their methodology for licensing. Should you have a license for every user you have entered into the system or is it how many are open at any given time? My understanding is that this is more of the "honor" system and there is no real mechanism for PTC to know either way unless they came in to audit the system but I just got a maintenance increase on users that nearly tripled my chargeback because of getting into compliance.
3 REPLIES 3
tbusch
1-Newbie
(To:CJGreen)

I believe it is based on a list of every unique user who has signed into your system within the last six months. It is NOT typically a shared or active user license. This may depend on your contract with them, though - you should talk to your PTC Sales Rep.

-Thomas R. Busch
Sr. Software Developer
Stryker Instruments
(269) 323-7700 x4014
tom.busch@stryker.com<">mailto:tom.busch@stryker.com>

My understanding is that you need one license for each person who is able to use the system, whether or not they actually login.  So for each user that has an account in LDAP and that isn't identified
as an obsolete user, you need one license.  I don't think PTC dictates how you identify obsolete users, but you need to demonstrate that you have a policy and procedure in place within your
organization to deal with obsolete users since you can't just delete users from LDAP when they no longer use the software.

They do have the right to come in and audit your license usage at any time they wish -- that's part of the agreement you sign with them when you purchase the software.

Brian Geary
R&D Systems Analyst
Herman Miller, Inc.
Office: (616) 654-8993
Mobile: (616) 796-5257

CJ Green <cj.green@nike.com>                                                                                                                                                              

11/11/2009 12:26 PM                                                                                                                                                                     To
                                                                                         -                                                                                   
                                                                                                                                                                                                     cc
                                      Please respond to                                                                                                                                                
                                CJ Green <cj.green@nike.com>                                                                                                                                    Subject
                                                                                         [solutions] - Windchill Licensing                                                                             

I'm just trying to figure out their methodology for licensing.  Should you have a license for every user you have entered into the system or is it how many are open at any given time?  My
understanding is that this is more of the "honor" system and there is no real mechanism for PTC to know either way unless they came in to audit the system but I just got a maintenance increase on
users that nearly tripled my chargeback because of getting into compliance.  ----------

As I know there are some differences between heavy and light licenses
and how they used but overall PTC does not have a software tool to
manage licenses.
It's a good question. Not so sure about generic user accounts - how does
it count.

Thanks,
Dmitry
Top Tags