cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill Migration options

BobLehman2
1-Newbie

Windchill Migration options

I asked a couple of months back what topics people would like to see posting on – I asked about Installation, Upgrade, Migration and Integration. The feedback I received was that there would be interest in posting/discussions on Migration.  This document is an initial post with an overview of the options. If there is interest I will write something up about each topic.

There are many ways to migrate data into Windchill depending on the type of data to be migrated – Document, Parts, EPMDocuments, Workflows, Principles, Organizations … and there are two major types of migration – Windchill to Windchill and Non Windchill to Windchill. I will attempt to cover all of these over the next few postings

Windchill To Windchill:

Depending on the amount of data and the type of data there are several options for how this can be done.

1. Windchill OOTB loaders – works for wtparts, wtdocuments and other data types. Does not work so well for EPMDocuments
  2. Windchill custom loaders – can be created for all object types, but very expensive
  3. Fishbowl Tools – I have used this method to load Proe/Creo, Solidworks and Autocad data from one environment to another
  4. Creo2 – I have used this method to load smaller data sets into existing target environment
  5. Catia – I have used this method to load smaller Catia data data sets into existing target environment
  6. Windchill Bulk Migrator – this used to be called the DMF and has gone from the DMF to WBM 2.0 to WBM 4.0. This is becoming the preferred method of loading as it can handle most object types OOTB and custom extractors and loaders can be created to support additional object types.

Non Windchill To Windchill:

Depending on the amount of data and the type of data there are several options for how this can be done.

1. Windchill OOTB loaders – works for wtparts, wtdocuments and other data types. Does not work so well for EPMDocument
  2. Windchill custom loaders – can be created for all object types, but very expensive
  3. Fishbowl Tools – I have used this method to load Proe/Creo, Solidworks and Autocad data from one environment to another
  4. Creo2 – I have used this method to load smaller data sets into existing target environment
  5. Catia – I have used this method to load smaller Catia data data sets into existing target environment
  6. Windchill Bulk Migrator – this used to be called the DMF and has gone from the DMF to WBM 2.0 to WBM 4.0. This is becoming the preferred method of loading as it can handle most object types OOTB and custom extractors and loaders can be created to support additional object types.
7 REPLIES 7

Please let me know if this is the best way to go about providing this information - I think we have the options of - a blog, creating a document or just starting a discussion.  Does anyone have an opinion on which of those options is best for sharing data.

Hi Bob

great initiative.

I think the end results should be a document but as any development collaboration is done through discussion

In the non Windchill to Windchill, I see you have been quite specific in naming tools but that seems to be more a Non PDM to Windchill situation (ie CAD to Windchill)

What about  PDM to Windchill such as Autodesk Vault to Windchill for instance ?

Best regards

Agree with Chris. Would be good to know the options to move from PDM to Windchill

Regards

~Syed

Chris, Syed,

A great question with a terrible answer - it depends -:).

I think each situation will have to be evaluated  - size migration, source system, load tools options ...  I still think the first choice moving forward would be the WBM until your analysis shows it will not work.

For instance pulling from an Autodesk Vault you would have the option of Using the WBM if you wanted to make the Autodesk CAD Documents WTDocuments, then the standard WTDocument loader should be able to do this.  I have previously used the Windchill OOTB File based loaders to do this sort of activity so that is also still an option.  If you want to make them EPM Documents I am not sure the WBM will do that without additional loaders (If anyone knows different please correct me).  I do believe that the Fishbowl tools can be used to do this, we were going to use it for a customer load but the customer chose to make the AutoCAD files WTDocuments, but I am pretty sure we proofed that we could use the Fishbowl tools to load either object type.

What I think would be great is for any of you contemplating a data load/migration to bring up in this discussion what your situation is, and we can have a group discussion about what your options might be.  Which I think is what Chris was asking for previously. I also think suspect we could all learn a lot from evaluating real scenarios rather than dreaming up things that might occur.  So if you have a scenario you are willing to share, please post.

--Bob

Hi,

I am using a Custom loader to Load Lifecycle History information from windchill R8 to Windchill R10.  I am facing a problem. 

Could you please help me to resolve this issue.

Test Scenario:

I am Using 2 input files.

1. WTPart object Related LifecycleHistory Info

2. WTDocument object related LifecycleHistory  info

when i am running one by one in one windchill shell, it is loading fine.

But when i am loading in parallel (with 2 windchill shell console), the WTDocument related info is available in WTPart related information.

I could not understand what is happening and what i missed.

Thanks in advance

Thanks & Regards

Gnanamuthu Lucas

Hi,

Can anyone please provide me custom loader code/info for loading EPM structure to Windchill.

your thoght on thids will be very helpfull for our requirement.

Thanks & Regards

Roop Singh

Hi,

Can anyone please provide me custom loader code/info for loading EPM structure to Windchill.

your thoghts on this will be very helpfull for our requirement.

Thanks & Regards

Roop Singh

Top Tags