cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill Publishing

MISSP
6-Contributor

Windchill Publishing

Hello. Please tell me: why is it so long to publish on the server? There are objects that are published for 1 hour. At the same time, the server is loaded by 10 percent.

10 REPLIES 10
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:MISSP)

How many workers do you have?

What does the WVS Job Monitor show?

• How many jobs are 'Ready'
  • How many jobs are 'Executing'
  • Is there one particular job that has been running for a long time?
MISSP
6-Contributor
(To:TomU)

We have 7 floating licenses. One of them is always busy for publication.
Every day about 300-500 tasks are added to the queue and have the status " ready"
It is always performed on the same task

Attached the log of the task log of one of the examples.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Thumbnail generation seems to be taking awhile (~ 10 minutes) but everything else looks pretty normal.

How many cad workers do you have configured?  These will be listed on the Site > Utilities > Worker Agent Administration page.  The page looks something like this:

TomU_0-1580916113210.png

You may want to take a look at these two knowledge base articles as well:

MISSP
6-Contributor

I have 1 agent. And you have every agent uses the license?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

If the system you're running the CAD worker on has sufficient resources, there is nothing stopping your from running multiple agents at the same time.  Creo will only consume one license, regardless of how many times it's started on the same computer.  In my case I'm running 15 agents on one system.  You may not need to go to that level, but even a couple more would significantly improve your publishing performance.

Configuring multiple workers on the same machine is a little tricky and requires some manual editing of a few files.  Take a look at these articles for more information:

MISSP
6-Contributor

Tom, thanks for the advice. That's right, the Converter does not use additional licenses. So far, I have created one. According to CS there is a division of ASM from PRT and DRW . One agent publishes ASM , the second PRT and DRW. I encountered this problem: 1) successful tasks Are not displayed in the task monitor.2) Agents are disabled from time to time and give an error when starting: startup failed. Manually stopping and starting solves the problem.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Let me take this in sections...

According to CS there is a division of ASM from PRT and DRW . One agent publishes ASM , the second PRT and DRW. 

I do not believe this is correct.  While it is possible to send certain objects types to dedicated queues and workers, this requires customization and does not happen 'out-of-the-box'.  By default, any CAD worker for a particular authoring application (Creo, Solidworks, etc.) can process any job for that authoring application.  There is no automatic division of labor by sub-type (drawing, part, assembly, etc.)

1) successful tasks Are not displayed in the task monitor.

I have no idea what would cause this.  You may need to open a case with tech support for this.

2) Agents are disabled from time to time and give an error when starting: startup failed. Manually stopping and starting solves the problem.

This can be caused by the Creo process hanging. (xtop.exe)  I find it helpful to automatically kill any hung processes when the cad worker is starting back up.  There are instructions on how to do this here: https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS162756

MISSP
6-Contributor

Tom, sorry for my maybe stupid questions, I'm still learning. I created 1 more agent, but it doesn't take jobs from the specified queue. I wanted 2 agents to publish objects from the specified queue at the same time.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Not stupid questions.  I totally forgot about this, but you need to create an additional queue for each additional CAD worker.  Here are KB articles explaining how to do this:

MISSP
6-Contributor

How do I run agents on the same machine from different users to avoid a startup failure? Indicate in the agent.user ini for each worker. But nothing happens

Top Tags