cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Windchill Revisions

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Windchill Revisions

I am building a new Windchill 11.0 m030 CPS08 system.

Revisions is my current task to tackle.

OOTB, adding a document to Windchill, it comes in as revision A. Yet, when I look at the XML file for revisions using the command: java wt.series.LoadFileBasedSeries -read, I get a file that has numeric revisions at the top and then Alphas.

The OIR has: <AttrValue id="MBA|versionInfo" algorithm="com.ptc.core.foundation.vc.server.impl.VersionInfoGenerator">

<Arg>wt.series.HarvardSeries</Arg>

,/AttrValue>

What file is driving the revision scheme OOTB and what changes are needed in the OIR to use my own scheme which is alpha first, then numeric?

I also found the option to specify an alternate initial revision. Does using this create a drop down menu that would allow us to choose rev A or rev 0 as the initial version. Is there more coding needed in the OIR to enable a version choice?

3 REPLIES 3

Lots of fun...

One of the most important setup areas - difficult or impossible to change later.

The series of Revisions (sometimes called Versions by PTC) is only one element. The mechanism that says to use a set of Revisions involves both the OIR and potentially the lifecycle template (for state-based versioning).  Notice the "seed" lines the versioning xml file.  The lifecycle template optionally can select a Seed for each state.  This has to do though only with what happens on Revise.

In general, the OIR establishes what versioning series to use.

Create a test product from the Design (rather than General) OTB product template.  With this, WTParts and CAD get created at the first numbered Revision.  Take a look at the OIR and lifecycle template.

How do you get a drop down box for version when creating a new document?

In most cases, we create documents at version A, which is in the revision XML file. Occasionally we need to create documents at version 0 due to contractual requirements. We currently create it at version A then do a revise to version 0. We want to avoid this step with a drop down version selection box in the New document layout.

We also need t do this with CAD files, but those are usually a new part number of an existing part and we can create these at version 0 in the user's workspace.

This preference might apply: Allow Override On Insert

Top Tags