cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Windchill Schedule Queue Vs Unix Cron

darunachalam
4-Participant

Windchill Schedule Queue Vs Unix Cron

Ineed to load some data into Windchill at every specified time interval (say every 2 minutes) by executing a loader utility.The possible solutions could be to use a Windchill schedule queue (or) an Unix Cron job. However I am not sure which one to use for my need.

I understand that Unix cron job gives a better performance as its execution is managed outside Windchill;howeverit requires Windchill authentication information to be passed (as hardcoded values) as arguments to the loader utility.

Any suggestion on this is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

If you decide to use a cron, the script that your cron executes should has the arguments -u (windchill userid) and -p (Windchill password). For example

windchill wt.load.LoadFromFile -d filename.xml -u wcadmin -p xyz -CONT_PATH

Thanks

Alexius C. Chukwuka
IT Analyst, PDP Systems
John Deere Power Systems
Product Engineering Center
*Voice: 319-292-8575
*Mobile: 319-429-5336
*Fax:319-292-6282
*E-Mail: -
CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to Deere & Company, or one of its subsidiaries or affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.

Both work, but there are some advantages from running as a Windchill Queue

- You have a UI to see the state of the queue, stop it, restart it etc.

- You can run in the same JVM which willbe the background MS (I am guess the loadfromfile runs foreground by default

- If Windchill shutsdown so does the queue however the CRON will keep executing

- You are not passing the password (someone changes it you will have to change your cron job too)

Just some things to note

hello folks,

I have the same requirement but i dont know which method should i use for running my utility.

I tried the belowsolutions,

1.I have written a service class and registered with wt.properties. This service is started when the method server is starting. I try to get the method context but it says that " no active context".

2. I have written a utility class but i need to start it manually from widchill shell.

Is there any better way to achieve the solution for this problem?

I have no knowledge about widchill scheduler. But i heard that this will also help me.

Can anyone suggest me the best solution to start the utility after method server is started?

Thanks

Selva

Announcements

Top Tags