cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill WVS CAD Worker for SolidWorks - server / workstation OS

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Windchill WVS CAD Worker for SolidWorks - server / workstation OS

All of our servers are moving to the cloud (Amazon web services - AWS).  We currently publish SolidWorks using a server configured as Win 7 - works perfectly.

There seem to be some restrictions on configuring an AWS WV host with a workstation OS.  The WGM installer simply won't start on a server OS.  We've asked for an AWS host with Win 7 (or 8.1 is listed as being supported) with no luck from IT so far.

Question: For everyone who currently publishes SolidWorks data, how are you managing the CAD Worker for SolidWorks?

19 REPLIES 19
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:MikeLockwood)

We use Windows 7 and Windows 10 for all of our CAD workers (including SolidWorks).  The WGM matrix does not appear to support any server OS for SolidWorks.

http://support.ptc.com/WCMS/files/168115/en/Windchill11.0M020CADIntegrationMatrix_12616.pdf

Hi Mike,

Can you please let me know, Windchill Workgroup Manager version and workstation/server version you are trying to work?

Regards,

Pankaj Mooteri

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:pmooteri)

Windchill 10.1 M030 CPS 14, WWGM matches but is CPS 13 (no CPS 14 available).

All our user workstations work perfectly - mostly Lenovo laptops but some Dell, some various desktops.

For publishing, we need to find what Amazon web services will allow to be a virtualized "cloud" host.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

More info from SolidWorks:  SOLIDWORKS | Hardware & System Requirements | SOLIDWORKS

I would be surprised if PTC would support running the SolidWorks WGM on a server OS when Dassault does not support running the SolidWorks software on a server OS.  Not saying it won't work, but it sure seems like it would be unsupported.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Just for fun I went ahead and tried it myself.

Windows Server 2016 Standard, Windchill 10.2 M030 CPS18

• SolidWorks 2016 SP05 Installed fine
  • Java 8 Installed Fine
  • Windchill Workgroup Manager will not install. 

By the way, even though SolidWorks seems to run fine, diagnostics does recognize that this is an unsupported OS.

We have this problem too. The WGM installer will not start on our Windows Server OSs (2012 or 2008).

We have been working around the problem by copying the WGM folder from a Windows 10 machine, then run this command:

c:\ptc\wgm\x86e_win64\obj\uwgm_client.exe -autoreg_only -uwgm_nographics -out c:\ptc\wgm\register.log

You will also need to install WFS manually:

msiexec /i C:\ptc\wgm\installer\PtcVfs.msi /l C:\ptc\wgm\installer\logs\PtcVfs_manual_install_after_msicuu.log

Appreciate the responses very much.  Just created tech support case C13475543 asking for PTC's official recommendation on this.

FYI - This is the preliminary comment from our IT group:

Short Answer: Using a client OS, like Windows 7, is possible.

Technical Answer: To use Windows 7 in AWS we would have to import our own OS image and use a dedicated host for this EC2 Instance to comply with Microsoft licensing requirements. This is the only option if we want to run it in AWS.

Note: We would be running an entire dedicated host for a single system though, which just means an additional $3 /hr for the dedicated host in addition to the hourly rate of the Windows 7 EC2.

WorkSpaces is not a good solution because of the same restrictions. It uses a Windows 2008 R2 OS with Windows 7 skin, so it won't be compatible for Windchill.  Besides that, we don't have control over the EC2 instance since it's AWS managed.

Are you planning to have local file servers? If yes, remote CAD worker workstation within your network is an option.

Our server room is being completely eliminated, so not really any choice for "local."

Try to set the environment variable WWGM_ALLOW_TO_INSTALL = true.

Hi All,

Please note that, above environment variable WWGM_ALLOW_TO_INSTALL is not supported by PTC.

In 10.2 release, PTC does not officially support installation of WGM on server OS. Any issues encountered in usage will not be eligible to be investigated by PTC unless same issue is reproducible on officially certified platform.

Regards,

Pankaj Mooteri

Product Manager, PTC

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Cool option, even if it is unsupported.  Are there plans to support the WWGM on any server OS in the near future?

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Pankaj, We absolutely will need to install and use in a supported manner, so thanks very much for confirming.  I did just try adding this env variable and installation works.  Seems like something that should be documented by PTC with the message not to do this - and why.

We're likely similar to many companies in that we are moving all servers to the cloud - and cloud servers have limitations on workstation OS.  What is PTC's long term plan related to this?

thank you

The WVS CAD worker for the SolidWorks may be configured without the WGM.

Wow - this is major.  Please tell me more.  I have SW installed on the server now.

Do not choose the "Enable wwgm file synchronization support" option in the adapter configuration process.

5.png

Warning: the adapter does not support the renamed files in Windchill

I remember without file synchronization, I had a problem with representations/watermark not showing up the updated life cycle state. That was for CATIA though

TomU
23-Emerald IV

PTC now officially supports installing the Windchill Workgroup Manager on Windows Server 2012 R2 for this exact application.

See https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS245930

Note:  Pay attention to the known issues at the bottom of the article.

Top Tags