cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Windchill Web Services Question

pwilliams-3
11-Garnet

Windchill Web Services Question

Our Windchill team is trying to understand the differences and pros/cons of two Windchill web service capabilities and I was hoping that some of you in the community would be able to help. We understand that Info*Engine tasks are xml files that can be called directly by typing the URL in a web browser or by executing the same URL from code such as another separately hosted website. The other way that the I*E tasks can be executed is by encapsulating them in a web service by using the Windchill Web Services Framework. The web service can then be used by any other technology that can consume a web service (wsdl).

So my question is this, why would I create a Web Service to execute the I*E task versus calling the xml file directly through it's URL? Any other pros/cons for each method?

Patrick Williams | Engineering Systems | c: 616.947.2110
[cid:image003.jpg@01CDA6DD.DA900FF0]

3 REPLIES 3

I would say the most common method is using standard InfoEngine tasks that are called via SOAP in your .NET app or whatever you are working with. I'm not sure on the Windchill Web Services. Maybe PTC Customization Department can comment

[cid:image001.gif@01CDA6C7.D390FE50]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer

I would welcome the comment by PTC Customization. I have worked with web services using .NET in the past and I thought it was great because in my code I interacted with it as if it was an object. I didn't have to use any SOAP calls.

Patrick Williams | Engineering Systems | c: 616.947.2110
[cid:image003.jpg@01CDA6E2.37E7CBD0]
fbaumann
5-Regular Member
(To:pwilliams-3)

Hello William,

I'm using a java client that implements a Data Access Object (from PTC) which makes calls to the Info Engine's generic web service (GWS). I found it much more easy than using the WSDL thing in your code...

[cid:image004.jpg@01CDA714.E0730030]

AlbatrosJCAClientConnector.0 gives the GWS address: :<password>@<server<http: %3clogin%3e:%3cpassword%3e@%3cserver=">">http://<login>:<password>@<server<http: %3clogin%3e:%3cpassword%3e@%3cserver="> adress>/Windchill/servlet/RPC?CLASS=<name of=" the=" gws="> (name of your gws should be given in your WSDL file.

Then you can simply use your DAO instance like this (here calling a customized IE task that has been exposed in the GWS):
[cid:image007.jpg@01CDA714.E0730030]

Here the list of standard services exposed by PTC:

[cid:image008.jpg@01CDA714.E0730030]

Does it helps?

Meilleures Salutations / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Fabrice BAUMANN
CAD/PLM Support

Liebherr-France SAS
2, avenue Joseph Rey - BP 90287
FR - 68005 Colmar Cedex

Phone :

+33 (0)3 89 21 37 89