cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill objects link at DB level

Chanhasen
5-Regular Member

Windchill objects link at DB level

Hi All,

I was exploring the objects link at db level. Is there any procedure or way/Utility get entity relationship links at db level.Need

guidance to understand.Kindly share your Ideas.

Example:

How "WTPART", WTDOCUMENT" "WTPartDescribeLink" tables are related in DB, which columns of part & document table has been mapped to WTPartDescribeLink table.

Thanks,

Chanhasen

11 REPLIES 11

Not easy - and not very productive. Getting to know and work with the object model is far more useful.

Javadoc provides a lot of help.

Playing with query builder reports (Site, Util, Report Manager) also gives a lot of clues. Can look at the "view as SQL" code at various points when building reports, although this is grayed out when using certain functionality.

in general, most every table's primary key is IDA2A2. Relationships of Versions to their Master object are also important to understand.

Not much published by PTC over the years on this.

Once upon a time ..... Windchill UML data model in Rational Rose ....

No more since 10.0 .....

If someone has a great Reverse Engineering tool to build an explicit and functionnal UML data model from Java Annotation in Windchill 10. Please share !

Hi Chanhasen,

possibly solved?!

Right now I´m doing the same ... Working manually through the tables and searching for relationships.

Here an example of my results. If you like to I could share the whole datamodel (as far as I could collect the relationships between the tables).

Windchill.JPG

greets

Ben

Chanhasen
5-Regular Member
(To:bschmidt-2)

Hi Ben,

Thanks for sharing the information.If possible ,please share the data model.

Thanks,

Chanhasen

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:Chanhasen)

This is a very complex question to answer. Mike is right.

In general, though, objects are usually associated through some sort of link or reference table. The ida2a2 values of the objects themselves (in their own db tables (WTPart, EPMDocument, etc)) will be in the RoleA (ida2a5, ida2a7, etc.) or RoleB (ida2b5, ida2b7, etc.) columns. There are usualy classname column associated with the RoleA and Role B columns to indicate what type of object the ida columns refer to (e.g. classnamekeyrolebobjectref, classnamekeyroleaobjectref, classnamekeya2a5, classnamekeya2b5, etc.)

Master tables (WTPartMaster, EPMDocumentMaster, WTDocumentMaster) are linked to the tables containing the info on the object iterations (WTPart, EPMDocument, WTDocument) are linked through the ida3masterreference column in the tables containing the iterated info.

I know about the Javadocs and the query builder reports. At first I tried using them to gather information, but imho they are not helpful (at least in Windchill v9.1). Perhaps I am doing it wrong 😃

I would be nice to have a description of the datamodel/tables/fields OTB.

Benjamin,

if you want some further information about query builder, take a look at this article.

http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-6348

Marco.

Marco
ab7nov
5-Regular Member
(To:Marco_Tosin)

I am looking in to FT Instances and found that

FT instances are present in EPMCONTAINEDIN and EPMVARAINTLINK  table in  windchill 9.1 database

can anyone provide purpose of above 2 tables .

mkh
11-Garnet
11-Garnet
(To:bschmidt-2)

Over 5 years down the lane, still looking for this. Will certainly be helpful in a migration project. Please share if possible. 

Thanks.

Hi,

I explained main link tables in my blog http://maheshmhetre.blogspot.com/

And to the specific question, to get the model diagram refer the article http://maheshmhetre.blogspot.com/2013/04/windchill-rose-web-publisher.html

This will work for Windchill 9.1 but not sure about the Windchill 10.x. Try and let me know if the model diagram available in 10.x

Regards,

Mahesh

Starting from Windchill 11.0 the query builder tool can help you on this.

For example if you want to know how to join objects you can see on attached image, select the two objects type and then try to create a join.

On second image you can see a list of possible join but, if you check the above box, the system check for you only the real join (sometimes there aren't possible join and you have to add more objects to find a useful join).

Marco
Top Tags