cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Windchill 'port'??

krichardson
1-Newbie

Windchill 'port'??

I have a conflict where by installing a licence server utility for other software, I can no longer download SolidWorks files from Windchill.Of course the MasterCam tech support is mystified as to why their utility would break my Windchill WGM. He suggested that I check the Windchill 'port' to see if there is a conflict. If Windchill uses a 'port', can any one of you enlighten me as to where I might find it? 🙂

Thanks! Kathy

Windchill 9.1 M060 Production

4 REPLIES 4
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:krichardson)

Try some utility software from www.sysinternals.com web site. It is now part of Microsoft technet. They may have a port map tool that will tell you which programs are accessing which ports.
There are other utilities that will give you this information.

You can use netstat -a | more (on newer Windows os's) to list all ports that are established/listening on a server. Your windchill server will likely be listening on a number of ports that are related to native OS services and a few that are related to Windhcill and its ancillary services such as a web server, LDAP, Oracle or SQL server if they are on the same machine etc. You can see all listening ports at the top of the list generated by netstat.

If the new license service is FlexLM based it is very easy to change the port. You simple change the port in the license file (typically a 4-5 digit number on the server line in the license file) and set the port on your clients (usually an environment variable) to use the server:port combination required.

Typically if you pick a number that is not already used for a listening service you should be fine. FlexLM will often use ports 7788, 7799 or some other high numbered port that is not typically in use and is not assigned to a well-known service.

So I would suggest you

a) stop your license service, verify windchill is working as expected

b) Run netstat -a | more and have a look at the local address column of the output where the state is listening, you should see a bunch of entries like 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:443 etc, the numbers after the : are ports in use by services that are listening on the machine

c) Change your license file to use a port that is NOT in use

d) Configure your clients to use that port for this service

e) Start your service, everything should work if it was a port conflict.

Ian Bagnald, CISSP
Sr. System Support Analyst
Moog Inc.
Components Group
Halifax Operation

77 Frazee Ave.
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Canada, B3B 1Z4

You can download Active Port software and install. It will give you runtime
information aboyt the ports being used by system.

Thanks
Mayur Aima

Thanks everone that was very helpful.

Top Tags